Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 27th, 2016 19:00

Cannot get Mic to work in front 3.5mm port

xps 8300, how would i go about fixing the  front port, the back mic jack on the audio card works just fine.

thanks

January 27th, 2016 23:00

Hi,

Thank you for writing to the Dell Community Forum. 

Request you to provide the following information to isolate the issue:

1. Are the other ports (headphone jack, USB ports working fine) on the front I/O panel working fine?
  2. Were there any software/hardware changes or updates done after which the problem started?
  3. Did the issue start after the system was put to sleep or hibernate?
  4. Would it be possible to reseat the front I/O connector cable on the motherboard following the instructions from the manual : http://dell.to/1Mtt90r 

January 28th, 2016 13:00

Hi and thank you for responding.

The surrounding ports all work on the top and everywhere else.  But I cannot get my microphone jack on top to work which would let me have a little more freedom of movement than plugging into the back jack.

I may try reseating the connector, but I should first ask is this a problem with unpowered microphones? The mic I have is "unpowered", a standalone mic that only hooks up to a 3.5 mm jack. 

Is the top jack simply not designed for this type of mic? In which case there's no problem.

Thank you for any information.

January 31st, 2016 10:00

Hi,

Thanks for your reply, standalone mic's should work fine without any issues. It could be that the microphone port is faulty. Please let me know the status once you have tried re-seating the front I/O port cable. 

No Events found!