Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

February 5th, 2001 05:00

Case Fan Stops Running.

The case fan in my Dell Dimension XPS D300 will randomly stop running after the machine has been operating for anywhere from a few minutes to ten hours, or so. If I unplug it from the motherboard and plug it into another fan connector on the mb, it runs fine. However, if I leave it on the second connector, it won't run up rebooting at the start of the day - I have to move it back to the first connector. It's as though the two connectors are set up so that when one works the other doesn't.

I have the side cover off my computer but have been watching component temperatures very closely.

What's causing this?

Sid

December 8th, 2013 15:00

It might be faulty wiring in the fan, try replacing it. If that doesn't work then it is probably the mother board that is causing the problem. Hope this helps.

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

December 8th, 2013 16:00

Reboot and press F12 to go to the Utilities partition. Then run the diagnostics tests on the fan when connected to its "normal' motherboard port.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

December 8th, 2013 21:00

sidmoore

The Dell Dimension XPS D300 P2 series was manufactured about 16/17 years ago [1997] and is probably not worth the cost of the repairs, especially if it is the motherboard.

Bev.

No Events found!