Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 11th, 2011 19:00

Challenges after reinstalling system after crash

I have a Dimension 9150 that I had to install a new hard drive in due to disk failure. After loading the operating system (Win XP Pro) and the drivers from the Dell site (using my Service Tag) I find that the sound controls on the key board no longer work. The microphone jacks do not seem to work either. The Mike is good (I tested it on my lap top). Any suggestions?

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

July 12th, 2011 04:00

There is a specific install sequence that must be followed for a successful install.  The sequence is (1) Install Windows (2) Install Dell Desktop System Software (3) Install Motherboard chipset drivers (4) Install Device Drivers including Video, Dell Sound Drivers, Ethernet, etc.  

The chipset drivers are an often skipped item and they MUST be instaled BEFORE installing device drivers.  Also, if you have the standard Integrated (on the motherboard) sound, you must use the Dell sound drivers as non-Dell either do not work or do not work correctly.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

July 12th, 2011 12:00

If you didn't install the SATA driver from a floppy diskette during the XP installation, you can't do that now, unless you start over. The system will work ok without them, but you lose any advantages of the Matrix Storage Manager, and you can't set up a RAID array.

For the others, this is the correct order:

1. Desktop System Software

2. Chipset

3. Video

4. Audio

5. Network

6. Other drivers

You don't need to update BIOS, if you don't have the latest, unless that version fixes a problem you actually have. This can be done any time.

DVD update is probably a firmware update, not a driver, and can also be done at any time, if you need whatever it fixes. It can only be done once, so if already done, ignore this one.

Diagnositcs and Sonic are optional software, if you want/need them and can be installed any time after the drivers are installed.

Dell Support Center isn't worth all the problems it causes, but can be installed any time after the drivers are installed.

Ron

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

July 12th, 2011 15:00

SATA drivers don't come on the XP Reinstallation CD. Dell likely installed them from an image at the factory.

You can reboot in Safe Mode and install System Software and chipset driver, in that order. Then reboot normally and install any drivers you missed, starting with video.

If any drivers were installed before you installed the System Software and chipset but still don't seen to be working, after they were installed in Safe Mode, uninstall the non-functional driver(s) in Device Manager. Then reboot normally and install them again.

If you still can't get everything working correctly. You probably have to reformat the hard drive again and start the XP install over from the beginning and then install everything in order.

Isn't this fun..?

Ron

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

July 12th, 2011 17:00

Do I delete the existing files and then install new ones? Is it simply putting them in the trash and emptying it or is there a process to uninstall them?

You can't "delete" drivers. You have to uninstall them.

Find the entry for each piece of hardware whose driver you want to uninstall in Device Manager, eg. for the network adaptor. Right-click that entry and select Uninstall from the context menu. Then reboot and install the correct driver using the latest version you get from support.dell.com for that hardware in this model PC.

Ron

10 Posts

July 12th, 2011 08:00

Now that the harddrive has been already set up, and in use, what has to be done to correct the challenge?

What is the order that these drivers should be installed?

Application: Dell Support Center, v.GM build patch 3.3-2.2.8335 (with PCC4780), A11 (32 MB)

Application: Sonic Solutions DigitalMedia v7, Plus v2.0.0.1 (82 MB)

Audio: SIGMATEL STAC 92XX C-Major HD Audio, v.5.10.0.4823, A05 (6 MB)

BIOS: Dell Dimension System BIOS, A07 (514 KB)

Removable Storage: TSST TS-H352C HH 16X DVDROM, v.DE06, A04 (495 KB)

Chip Set: Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility, v.7.2.2.1006, A13 (1 MB)

Diagnostics: Dell 32 Bit Diagnostics (Graphical User Interface version), A1284/0432 (2 MB)

Network: Intel PRO/1000 Network Connections, v.9.0.15.0, A00 (1 MB)

Serial ATA: Intel Matrix Storage Manager, v.6.0.1.1002, A07 (286 KB)

System Utilities: Dell Desktop System Software, v.1.14.0, A06 (3 MB)

Video: ATI Hyper Memory PCI-Express X16 (DVI/VGA/TV out) Radeon X300 SE, v.8.23-060209a1-030546C, A03 (25 MB)

Serial ATA: Intel Matrix Storage Manager, v.6.0.1.1002, A10 (15 MB)

10 Posts

July 12th, 2011 14:00

Since my computer does not have a floppy disk drive, If the SATA did not come with the operating system CD, it is probably a non issue.

Thank you for the correct order.

Now to the other question; Do I overwrite the existing, or uninstall it and start loading it fresh? If I must remove the existing, how do I accomplish that?

10 Posts

July 12th, 2011 17:00

I really feel stupid here. Do I delete the existing files and then install new ones? Is it simply putting them in the trash and emptying it or is there a process to uninstall them?

10 Posts

July 12th, 2011 22:00

Thanks for all your help.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

July 13th, 2011 17:00

Everything working now?

Ron

10 Posts

July 13th, 2011 18:00

I am unsure of how to uninstall the correct drivers and don't want to trash my system. the drivers don't have the same name as the downloads from Dell or the file numbers that are in the Dell folder. It appears that the Driver folder in the Dell folder on my hard drive contains install files except one, R133063 which contains MDM files , Configuration Settings, and MS-DOS Applications. It appears to be the Dell Diagnostics Utility file.

I was a remodeling contractor for 30 years and I am concerned if I just guess at the drivers to uninstall I will screw everything up.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

July 13th, 2011 19:00

You don't need to install the Diagnostics, they're optional.

I told you in one of my earlier posts exactly how to uninstall the drivers in Device Manager. The downloads from Dell are probably updated versions of the drivers on your system so they should have different names than what's on your hard drive. When you download the drivers from Dell, you can always rename them to something more useful, eg, "video_R123456.exe" so you can ID them later on.

What's still not working? Anything marked with a red X or yellow ! in Device Manager?

As long as your personal files are backed up on external media (eg USB hard drive, CDs) you have nothing to worry about.  Easy for me to say! :emotion-5:

Ron

10 Posts

July 13th, 2011 21:00

I don't see any red X or yellow !.

There are two HID Keyboard Device files, the Network Connection file, and six files under the heading of Sound, video and game controlers (Audio Codecs, Legacy Audio Drivers, Legacy Video Capture Devices, Media Control Devices, SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC, and Video Codecs.

Do I uninstall all of them even though only the Network connection driver matches any of the downloads from Dell?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

July 13th, 2011 21:00

Lets back up, and take this slowly...

1. Did you install the Desktop System Software and the chipset driver in Safe Mode? Yes or No?

2. Tell us exactly what isn't working on your system. eg, video, audio, network adaptor. Be as specific as possible.

3. You only have to install drivers either that you didn't already install after loading Windows, or if the associated hardware, identified in #2 (above),  isn't working correctly.

4. Do not uninstall in Device Manager anything that's working correctly.

5. All the things you listed (Audio Codecs, Legacy Audio Drivers, Legacy Video Capture Devices, Media Control Devices, SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC, and Video Codecs) are for your sound card. If sound is working correctly, leave these things alone.

6. The HID (human interface devices) are for your keyboard. Not sure why you have 2 of them listed, but if the keyboard is working correctly, leave both of them alone.

Ron

10 Posts

July 14th, 2011 13:00

I did not uninstall anything.

1) Starting with your first question, Yes, in Safe Mode I installed the Desktop System, rebooted in Safe Mode and then installed the Chipset Driver.

I then installed all the drivers in order rebooting in normal mode after each install.

2) The Microphone is not detected by the audio testing although when plugged into the rear port the window pops up to indicate that there is something plugged in. The microphone works fine with my laptop and used to work with the 9150. My keyboard is the Dell SK-8135 with volume control, Audio/Video controls and additional buttons above the F keys. none of the "non-standard" keys work. No volume control, no pause, forward of reverse, and none of the 8 buttons at the top.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

July 14th, 2011 19:00

Open the Sounds & Audio Devices control panel. Look at Audio and Voice  tabs. Make sure the correct device is selected for Sound Recording and Voice Recording.  If you have the volume control icon in the system tray, near the clock, double-click it and make sure Mute is not checked and the volume is set appropriately for Line In.

Did the keyboard come with a CD to install a driver?  Or is it on your Dell Resources CD? If not, I think this is the right driver for that keyboard. Manually set a System Restore point before installing it, just to be safe. :emotion-5:

If that driver doesn't set the keyboard up the way you want, go here to download TweakUI (free from Microsoft) for Win XP. Others on this forum have used that to assign the function keys on this exact keyboard. When you open TUI, expand the list under Explorer at the left and click Command Keys. Follow prompts in middle pane to assign whatever function you want to whichever key.

Ron

No Events found!