Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 26th, 2013 20:00

Changing the video card in my XPS 435T/9000

Hello, my dell came with a Radeon HD5870 and I really loved it and it served me well. My machine has a I7-920 cpu and 12gb ram so in that department I am still good but the Radeon clearly is not what it used to be. I purchased this machine in february 2012 and it was my first machine I didn't build myself so I've been quite out of the loop when it comes to components but now I want to upgrade the video card with a really good one and I saw one at a good price that I really want. It's the Nvidia GTX 770. I know it'll fit in the case as this dell has a big regular size case and I also know I'll need a new power supply for it... this one came with a 475w supply, which is ridiculous considering the Radeon it comes with specifies it needs a 500w psu... so dell is basicaly scraping the barrell when it comes to building these machines.

I saw a good, cheap corsair 600w psu in amazon and ordered it and the video card is still on my wishlist until I get a good response here.

My question is this, I warn you, it will sound dumb. Will it work in my machine? I know it should, after all, the motherboard is 0X501H - X58. It's an intel chipset and it has a pci express slot and while i wont get the 3.0 speed, (which the card works with) I know pci express is backwards compatible and it shouldnt be a problem.

The card itself specifies it needs a 600W PSU, which I already bought from amazon.

The machine does have 12gb of ram and a i7 processor so I know there shouldn't be any bottlenecking problems.

yet with all this info, I am so out of the loop at the moment that I am still worried that the card simply wont work with my system but whatever reason I haven't thought of.

Can you guys help me with this?

Thanks!

1.5K Posts

June 26th, 2013 21:00

I don't see a problem.  You most likely will have better luck running these newer cards on the system you have versus some of Dell's newer XPS systems which seem to have compatibility issues with certain video cards for whatever reason.  Just make sure the Corsair meets the amp requirement for the card also.  Corsairs usually do, but some cheap ones do not.  

The GTX 770 is a $400 video card so make sure you really need this much performance.  You could be happy with the GTX 760 that only costs $250.  An overclocked GTX 760 like one of these HERE is going to give you performance close to the GTX 770 for less money so keep that in mind too.  

140 Posts

June 28th, 2013 15:00

That's interesting what you say about the newer models not working with new cards, any idea whats the nature of the incompatibility? Case? PSU? Board? That really sucks.

Thanks for the tip on the cheaper cards, you do have a point, the reason why I am kind of deciding on spending a bit more is because I really dont plan on changing pc for a while so I want to future proof this for at least 3 years. I bought this machine with the radeon on the begining of 2010 and its been more than 3 years now so I hope I can get at least 2 or 3 more with this new card. With games like space citizen coming out late next year and me and my wife planning on getting pregnant soon, who knows when Ill have spare cash again to get such a sweet card.

Thanks for the info!

No Events found!