Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 14th, 2013 03:00

Clean install on an XPS 8500 to the SDD

Hi all,

Just ordered an XPS 8500 with both a standard HDD and an SDD, and I've just seen from an answer to someone else's question that Dell pre-install Windows 8 to the HDD.

I was planning on doing a clean install when I got the PC anyway, but is it possible to do a Windows 8 'refresh' but have it be re-installed to the SDD instead of the HDD?

I was also wondering if there was any specific advice on formatting a Dell PC. I did a clean install of Windows 7 on a Dell SXPS 1645 and it seemed to go well, but there seems to be a lot of confusion on the net regarding OEM license key etc.

Basically my main question is, what is the quickest way of re-installing Windows 8 to the SDD, leaving the HDD free for other media?

Thanks so much for any help guys,

Kev

4 Posts

January 14th, 2013 04:00

Hey Osprey, thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I'm not sure as to the cache size as looking at my invoice it merely states "256GB SSD", however I'm fairly sure the PC was not a special edition. I'll try and find more info when I get home, thanks for the help!

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 14th, 2013 04:00

Hi Kev,

Did you order the XPS 8500 Special edition with the mSATA cache? What size is the cache?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 14th, 2013 15:00

Yes, you can install the OS to your SSD. Whether the Dell image will fit on a 256GB drive, I'm not sure. Performing a clean install is not hard and personally I think is the best way to go with an SSD.

No Events found!