Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 26th, 2011 14:00

Computer Freezing/Locking Up After A Few Hours of No Activity

I have a Dell Optiplex 755. Everything seems fine at first but after the PC has been on for a while- say a few hours or more then the screen will only show the desktop wallpaper and nothing else, like icons or start menu, it only shows the wallpaper that it set as my background and I can move the cursor around but cannot ctrl+alt+del or do anything else. The only thing I can do is turn it off by the power button on the tower, and after doing this it comes up fine like there is nothing wrong. Sometimes I will try to pull something up on the computer after leaving it alone for a few hours and it will freeze up, mainly when trying to click on computer management to go to event viewer and I will try to shutdown from the start menu but I keep getting a “End Now rundll32.exe” and I have to turn it off by the tower. I have run a Dell diagnostics test and I do not get an error code indicating a hardware failure.

Troubleshooting I have done

-          Opened case and cleaned it out and changed out the memory

-          Reinstalled the OS winXP twice

-          Event viewer states these application and system errors

-          Applications

• Event ID: 2001 UNS failed to get EAC status
  • Event ID: 1002 Application hung rundll32.exe

-          System

• Event ID: 36 the time service has not been able to synch the system time. The system clock is unsynchronized.
  • Event ID 9  iastor- the device did not respond within the timeout period- Device\IDE\iastor0

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

May 27th, 2011 05:00

Event ID 2001

Source Intel(R) AMT

Type Warning

Description [UNS] Failed to get EAC Status.

This event is generated by the Intel Active Management Technology module. EAC refers to the Endpoint access control feature that allows the IT administrators to implement differentiated policy enforcement and configuration based on the security state of the end point.

If the Intel AMT is installed but the service itself is disabled, this message is recorded when the UNS (User Notification System, a sub-component) is trying to connect to it.

Given the age of the machine the hard drive could be failing.

1 Message

October 6th, 2011 08:00

I'm assuming the you have a RAID setup. We also had freezes or stalls with the 755 with mirrored drives.  The problem is with the Intel Storage Matrix drivers.  Get the new ones from Intel and not Dell.  At some point Intel changed the name to Intel Rapid Storage driver.

Just search on the error  "Device\IDE\iastor0"  and you will find a lot of people with that error. 

No Events found!