Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 6th, 2009 18:00

Computer fan noise

Over the past year and a half, the fan on the back of my Dell tower (or whatever the large box with the hardware inside is called)  with Windows XP has been making a loud growling noise on and off. I believe I have traced it to the power supply fan, but I am not sure. I have had a Dell serviceperson come in and take a look at it and they believed that it was a case of something brushing against the fan. This makes sense since every time it has happened I have been able to quiet the noise by tapping the cage that covers the fan on the outside with a pencil, pen, flashlight etc.

However, this time around, the fan starts to make the noise whenever the tower is jarred or moved and tapping the back will sometimes quiet it for a while, but other times the silence will only last a few seconds. Also this time around, I am noticing that the air coming out is warmer than before and there is a slight odor coming from inside the power supply (checked inside the computer, it's not the hardrive). Is the fan on the way out? Or is there really something rubbing aginst the fan to cause this? I have had the computer for roughly 8 years and it wouldn't suprise me if the fan was giving it's last gasp.

Help would be much appreciated!

295 Posts

November 6th, 2009 19:00

You know what is wrong and you traced it out. If you payed for a Dell person to come out, that would have payed for the fan!!

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

November 6th, 2009 21:00

richter12

It would be helpful, if you post the computer model.

Have you opened the case and checked the fan, to see if it's clean of any dust buildup and nothing is touching it?

Bev.

2 Posts

November 7th, 2009 06:00

Bev.

Thanks for the quick response, the computer is a Dell Dimension 4550 (sorry for not including that in the original post) and yes, I have opened the case and looked inside. Unfortunateley, my particular model does not allow me to see inside the power supply where I think the noise is coming from.

As for dust, there is some buildup on the parts of the fan that I can see from the back of the tower, however I don't want blow it out with a can of compressed air since that would blast the dust into the power supply itself. As I said before, I do believe that it is a case of something touching the fan, as did the Dell technician who came to look at it about a year ago. This time my only concern is that the sound will not stop for long when I use my usual method (tapping the back of the fan) and so I wonder if it's something else or if I need the power supply replaced.

Thanks

Richter

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

November 7th, 2009 07:00

Richter

If it is the power supply fan making the noise, then you need to replace the PSU.

Bev.

No Events found!