Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 30th, 2006 07:00

Computer ok to be near Microwave oven?

I want to put my computer next to the microwave oven. Is that safe for the computer? Will the hard drive be fried?

2.5K Posts

January 30th, 2006 11:00

Baked maybe, but not fried. :smileysurprised:

Dave

2 Posts

January 30th, 2006 12:00

I would strongly suggest you not put your system near the microwave. I don't think it will harm your system, but better safe then sorry, right?! I remember back in the day, it was very bad to put your modem anywhere near a microwave. I think your microwave may cause minor interferance with your monitor. Not sure on all this though... my suggestion: find another spot in your dorm to put your pc. :) Good luck!

2.1K Posts

January 30th, 2006 22:00

I guess the question is why do you want to put them side by side vs one on one wall and one on another wall?

January 30th, 2006 22:00

Anyone know for sure?

2.5K Posts

January 31st, 2006 00:00

That would mean diverting one's attention to nuke some Dinty Moore while playing a game.  A total faux pas.

Dave

2.1K Posts

January 31st, 2006 02:00

Have to admit....this "problem" is a first for me in over 5 years on these boards...

932 Posts

January 31st, 2006 13:00

It's a perfectly reasonable question, I think. I don't have any idea what the answer is (I hope nothing harmful is allowed to escape those things - I worry much more about my Cell phone, to tell the truth. Just leave it near your speakers to see what I mean) but I can see where it's quite possible that space is at a premium, and this would be the most efficient arrangement.

I totally like the idea of not having to get up from the game to nuke something. Cool! Maybe the fridge should be dragged into arm's reach as well - that would be awesome. Oh - and a phone to call for takeout.

272 Posts

January 31st, 2006 14:00

As an ex service man for appliances I would strongly recomend finding a better spot for your computer. The stray waves from a microwave can effect the computer. they are not magnetic but in a short time you can bet you will get errors caused by the waves messing up chips in the computer. Most microwaves are shielded but its not 100%. Any high frequency wave will effect data strorage. It will also cause all kinds of funky iterferance on any cables.network,video,etc.

272 Posts

January 31st, 2006 15:00

I like the idea of being close to hot instant food as well. I would recomend 10 to 12 inches between the computer and micr.. at least. at 10 inches from a microwave the leak detectors show virtualy no leakage even with a leaky microwave. gota go.. lunch.

2.1K Posts

Ah yes...life's simple pleasures! :smileyvery-happy:

2.1K Posts

...."I totally like the idea of not having to get up from the game to nuke something. Cool! Maybe the fridge should be dragged into arm's reach as well - that would be awesome. Oh - and a phone to call for takeout." ....

For a totally uninterrupted gaming experience, may as well go all the way and replace the chair with a toilet, too...oh, and don't forget the paper holder! 

932 Posts

My aunt was remodeling her house a few years ago - adding a few rooms and knocking down some walls. For a while she had a working toilet in the middle of her newly expanded living room. The sink had been removed and all the rest of the plumbing capped off, but the new bathroom hadn't been finished yet. I spent a weekend alone in that house on a vacation and I gotta admit, it was pretty cool taking a .... right there in front of the TV.

Message Edited by CTskydiver on 01-31-2006 12:13 PM

2.1K Posts

I think this thread has gone to ... pot..
No Events found!