Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 8th, 2003 14:00

Computer unable to communicate with APC battery backup

My Dimension will not consistently communicate with my new APC Back-UPS ES.  The UPS connects via USB.  MY Dimension is running XP.

If I unplug the USB cable and then plug it back in, then the PC communicates just fine.

APC's website instructed me to 'Enable legacy USB' which was already enabled and to disable "advanced power management'.  Also to remove the device and reinstall.  Did all of those.  Still no luck.

Has anyone else encountered this problem?

Thanks,

Marc

70 Posts

October 8th, 2003 17:00

this is an WIN XP problem with power save mode and the ups... cant remember exactly what file it was that fixed mine but go to apc's web site and download the xp patch...

Message Edited by RTD2 on 10-08-2003 01:56 PM

3 Posts

October 8th, 2003 23:00

APC's web site did not help. 

However Dell's tech support (phone call) solved the problem.

I went into DeviceManager and found the USB Hubs.  On properties for each hub, I went to the Power Mgmt tab and UNchecked "allow this computer to turn off this device to save power"

Later,

Marc

12 Posts

October 25th, 2003 01:00

Thanks for posting the answer.  I've been having the same problem.  I'll give it a try.

Candace

2 Posts

September 23rd, 2005 17:00

Sorry to bump this old thread, but I'm having the same problem. The battery is randomly detected when the system starts (not detected the most of the times) and PowerChute warns about it. If I unplug and replug the usb cable then it detects it, but it's kinda annoying having to do that every time that it doesn't detects the battery.

I tried the USB hubs thing, but mine don't even allow me to uncheck the "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" square as the option is shaded in grey, so I don't really know what to do.

I use the lastest version of PowerChute, WinXP SP2 and so on.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Viena

2 Posts

September 26th, 2005 11:00

*bump*

3 Posts

September 27th, 2005 01:00

canceling my email notifications ...
No Events found!