Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 14th, 2009 06:00

Delivery delays (Updated)

I ordered my system on 11/30 with a estimated delivery date of 12/17.   I have checked most everyday the status of my order.  Today, it has been changed to estimated delivery date of 01/13/2010!!!   How can Dell underestimate a delivery date by a month?!!!!   This was a gift to my son for Christmas.     This is one system that will be returned (regardless of the restocking fee) and the last Dell I will purchase.    Very disappointed Dell customer (have been a customer for the past 8 years). 

I really started getting worried over the weekend when Dell announced Friday that they were delaying the closing of the Winston-Salem plant due to increase in demand.     There is a definite problem with their manufacturing planning!!!!!

I apologize for posting this in the techincal forum but there does not seem to be one for customer service.   I think I know why.    

If I can't get some results from customer service (when they open.........I just hope it is not someone in India reading a standard reply), I will call American Express and have the charges blocked!

Well I received an email this morning that my system has shipped with delivery of 12/15!!!   GREAT!!!! but their estimate of ship date has little to be desired. Originally 12/17/09, then changed to 01/13/10 now 12/15.   I am not complaining, just undue stress with their estimation of ship dates!

Merry Christmas !!

December 15th, 2009 18:00

I ordered my inspiron laptop on 12/1/09.  Estimated delivery date of 12/16.  NOW THE DELIVERY DATE IS 2/23/10!!!!   A Two month delay!  What is happening at Dell? Anybody know?

260 Posts

December 15th, 2009 21:00

You guys should check this post

http://en.community.dell.com/forums/t/19301335.aspx

This has been going on for months now. Dell must not have stocked enough parts to keep up with demand.

December 18th, 2009 12:00

An update.  I cancelled my order.  The number for cancellation is 1-800-247-2076, option #2.  I was told it would take one or two hours to cancel--and that I'd get a confirmation within 48 hours. 

January 22nd, 2010 14:00

Yes the delivery problems with Dell are strange. I orderd a system (pretty standard - an Inspiron 537) on December 1st. The delivery date was December 18th - fine. This then went to December 28th, then to January 6th, then to January 13th and then to January 20th. I have no idea if Dell would have made the January 20th date as I cancelled my order on January 9th and bought an HP from Amazon. This was delivered in six days.

What I found frustrating with the above experience was that no one would give me any information as to why my system was being delayed. This constant rescheduling is like death by a thousand cuts. I have previously owned two Dells and been very satisfied. As a retired marketing executive from the computer industry, I know how difficult it is to regain a customer once you lose him or her. But then my experience is based on a a few thousand customers. As I am one of millions of Dell customers, perhaps the classic marketing rules no longer apply.

1 Message

February 1st, 2010 03:00

Agreed - Dell used to fancy themselves a lean Just In Time Manufacturing co - and they delivered.  My last two experiences with them will be my last - they  seen to pick a delivery time out of thin air, and then string you along with happy-speak excuses.  In the final case, they didn't even bother with that; it's now the 1st of Feb, and my order due in early Jan has an estimated delivery date of 21 Jan. 

Bye-Bye Dell.

No Events found!