Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 22nd, 2012 23:00

Dell 2400

I'm trying to make a change regarding the processor in the Dell 2400. It came with a Celeron, running at 2.4Ghz  with a FSB of 400 and the L2 at 128 KB. I looked into the specifications for the 2400 and an alternate processor was listed as a Pentium 4, also running at 2.4Ghz, same FSB but with an L2 of 512 KB. What problems might I experience in making the change? They both are Socket 478. Looking at a comparison from Intel, the base difference looks to be the size of the L2 cache.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 28th, 2012 08:00

Jaxom5

I cannot see no reason why an P-4 SL68T processor would not work in the Dimension 2400.

Maybe the processor is bad.

Bev. 

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

January 22nd, 2012 23:00

Watch for bent pins when swapping CPUs. Once the P4 is installed, the BIOS and Windows should recognize it automatically.

Did that with a 2350 -- upgraded it from a Celery 2.0 to a P4 2.2.

91 Posts

January 23rd, 2012 07:00

Prior to removing the current/working processor you should download and install the latest BIOS update to ensure that they system will recognize the new CPU.  Also you will need a tube of thermal past so that you can put a drop about the size of a large grain of rice on top of the new processor before putting the heat sink on top of it.  Thermal paste can easily cost $15-20 at RadioShack and the like but perfectly good thermal paste can alternatively be found on Ebay for just a buck (but it comes from China so expect a two week wait).  Clean the top of the processor and the bottom of the heat sink with rubbing alcohol.  And for under $10 you can get a Pentium 4 CPU with a 533Mhz FSB which are also compatible with the Dimension 2400 and will give you a significant performance boost over one with a 400Mhz FSB.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 23rd, 2012 08:00

Jaxom5

When a heatsink or processor is removed, replaced, or reused, it is advisable to clean them and reapply a thermal compound, as directed.

Directions for cleaning and applying thermal compound, are HERE.

Only a small tube of thermal compound is required, this can be purchased from any online, or local computer store.

Bev.

73 Posts

January 26th, 2012 21:00

Thanks for the reply. The P4 came out of an existing board and went straight into the 2400. When I turned the unit on, the front power light stayed amber and the four lights on the rear were A: Yellow, B: Green, C: off, and D: yellow. I looked into the manual but did not see this combination listed. When I returned the Celeron to the 2400, It also had some difficulty working. I had not disconnected any of the connections to remove the processors but tried reseating any that might have been disturbed and the Celeron allowed the computer to boot up with no appreciable difference. I have not found any update for the BIOS since the A05.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

January 26th, 2012 22:00

If the CPU is compatible, the 2400 should boot. If it doesn't, consider the CPU incompatible.

I had that trouble with my 2350 when I tried to install a 533mhz P4. The fans came on but I got no BIOS splash screen and no boot.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 27th, 2012 09:00

Jaxom5

What is the sSpec number of the P-4 processor you installed?

Bev.

73 Posts

January 27th, 2012 23:00

The Celeron is SL6VU, and the P4 is SL68T. Any thoughts on the Diagnostic light display? And yes, each time any of the processors come out, they get cleaned and reapplied with Thermal paste. I changed out the P4 521 in my 4700 for a P4 670. Worked right off from the git-go.

73 Posts

January 29th, 2012 00:00

That's kinda where I thought about going. The person that provided the processor stated that it was functioning when it and the motherboard were removed form the computer. Since this was a no cost acquisiton, I'm not out any funds. Just bummed a tad. Thanks for your help. I may think about finding another unit on the 'net.

73 Posts

January 29th, 2012 00:00

Have you any thoughts regarding the

Diagnostics lightsthat I mentiond? I found no reference that explained this particular order.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 29th, 2012 10:00

Jaxom5

No thoughts on the YGoffY diagnostic lights, other than it may possibly indicate a motherboard problem, but if you reinstalled the Celeron and the system work fine, then I'm out of ideas.

Bev.

No Events found!