Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 5th, 2009 06:00

Dell 3100 - BIOS boot sequence (?!)

Hi All,  I hope someone can help. I recently changed the battery on the motherboard of our Dell 3100. Now whenever I power the PC on it says 'floppy diskette seek failure, F1 to start, f2 to set-up'. I' dlike to go into the bios boot sequence and change the priorities so that the system stops looking for a floppy diskette (we don't even have one fitted!) and goes staright for the hard disk but unsure now to do this.

Can anyone advise how to resolve this?

2.6K Posts

February 5th, 2009 08:00

System setup (aka BIOS) instructions from the service manual below - look under Drives:

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

February 5th, 2009 14:00

Hi All,  I hope someone can help. I recently changed the battery on the motherboard of our Dell 3100. Now whenever I power the PC on it says 'floppy diskette seek failure, F1 to start, f2 to set-up'. I' dlike to go into the bios boot sequence and change the priorities so that the system stops looking for a floppy diskette (we don't even have one fitted!) and goes staright for the hard disk but unsure now to do this.

Can anyone advise how to resolve this?

Hi Doug Macpherson what you have to do to correct this is simple when you know how, first you go into your bios ( F2 on dell logo screen on start up of PC ) then you can go into the bios and turn floppy disk drives to off if your PC does not have one.

Go into drives and set Diskette Drive to off.

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Boot Sequence

This feature allows you to change the boot sequence for devices.

Option Settings

Diskette Drive — The computer attempts to boot from the floppy drive. If the floppy disk in the drive is not bootable, if no floppy disk is in the drive, or if there is no floppy drive installed in the computer, the computer generates an error message.

February 6th, 2009 09:00

Thanks! All fine now. Appreciate your help.

No Events found!