Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 9th, 2011 14:00

Dell 530s not booting up

My 530s desktop was working fine until one day it would not turn on. It was definitely getting power, but the fan was cranking and the machine was beeping at me (4 beeps, pause, 4 beeps) It doesn't send any picture to the monitor and doesn't seem to be doing anything other than whirring its fan. I've tried leaving it going for several minutes, but the problem does not resolve. I tried unhooking any printers, internet cables, etc. to no avail. I've unplugged it for a week at a time, which made no difference. Any suggestions?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

November 9th, 2011 15:00

minchamp

Four Beeps could indicate a memory issue.

What is the reading of the power button bi-colour LED, Steady Blue, Blinking Blue, Steady Amber, Blinking Amber?

Have you made any changes to the Inspiron 530s recently?

Troubleshooter and Diagnostic Guide, is HERE

Bev.

3 Posts

November 9th, 2011 16:00

The light is steady blue. We have not made any changes to the computer recently and have never added memory or other internal tinkering.  Thanks for the response!

Pat Minick

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

November 9th, 2011 17:00

minchamp

First try removing and reinstalling the memory modules, to see if this makes a difference.

Bev.

3 Posts

November 15th, 2011 10:00

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it, but unfortunately, it didn't work. I still get the 4 beeps and fans whirring when I turn it on.

The only change we made in the computer before this problem occurred was we unplugged our wi-max modem from it.(We switched interent service providers and no longer have wi-max) Once we did that, it seemed to develop this problem. I don't see how disconnecting it from wi-max would have any bearing on this type of problem, but the problem developed right after that switch. Does that shed any light on this?

Thanks for your continued tries at fixing this.

No Events found!