Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 16th, 2016 12:00

Dell 660s

Hello,

I recently purchase an upgrade hard drive for my dell 660s. After installing the Dell - hard drive - 2 TB - SATA. When I start the computer this on the screen 

Reboot and Select proper Boot device or insert Boot Media in selected Boot Device and press a key

I have tried to change the boot sequence  to boot from usb drive, but still each time the above is still on the screen,

I appreciate any help you can provide.

Btw I ran the dell diagnostic test and everything passed.

Thank you

5.2K Posts

June 16th, 2016 17:00

If the new drive is the boot drive, did you install the operating system on it?

15 Posts

June 16th, 2016 18:00

No  I backed info I needed to an alternate external drive and I installed the hard drive directly into the computer, minus any software. what did I do wrong? Can you give me step by step instructions. Thanks

5.2K Posts

June 17th, 2016 08:00

You need to get a Windows installation disk. Contact Dell to see if they will supply one. If not, you will need to purchase it.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

June 17th, 2016 13:00

No  I backed info I needed to an alternate external drive and I installed the hard drive directly into the computer, minus any software. what did I do wrong? Can you give me step by step instructions. Thanks

Unless you have upgraded the windows operating system, you need to buy a Dell windows reinstallation disc, that's the same version that was factory installed, a good place to find Dell reinstallation discs, is eBay.

Bev.

15 Posts

June 17th, 2016 16:00

Thank you very much, I really appreciate all your help.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

June 17th, 2016 17:00

Sounds like your USB drive isn't a bootable drive. You need to create a bootable USB stick or bootable DVD to install Windows on the new hard drive.

You didn't say what version of Windows was installed on the old drive, but you can find the files to create bootable media and instructions to install Windows on the new drive here:

Windows 7 (You'll need the Microsoft product key from the sticker on your PC for this download)

Windows 8.1

Windows 10

If you had Win 8.1 installed on the old drive, you should be able to upgrade directly to Win 10 (assuming you actually want Win 10) without installing Win 8.1 first. Upgrading to Win 10 is free until July 29, 2016.

No Events found!