Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 1st, 2017 15:00

Dell 760 Ram Upgrade

Hello everyone! So about a week ago i bought a used Optiflex 760 Desktop, everything was fine until i recognized that the computer is running a bit slow.Then i checked and i saw that there's actually only 1Gb of ram installed on it, which 800MB is taken by the Windows and the rest of it is free but it still dosent work that good.So the only option it was left was upgrading the ram (getting an additional stick of ram).And i got concerned at one point because when i red the manual it says that i shouldn't remove the factory ram that is installed, and that if i install ram that has different MHZ or its bigger , that my computer will run but with a slight reduction of performance.The ram that im planning on installing is a Samsung 800hz, and the factory ram is 666Mhz (i think).Soo basically whats the '''Slight Reduction in performance gonna be''? Is it gonna lag or something or do something to the proccessor or?

4 Operator

• 

754 Posts

October 2nd, 2017 03:00

Hi Crism,

The 760 uses Non-ECC dual-channel 667 or 800MHz DDR2 SDRAM with a maximum of 8GB (4 x 2GB) or 4GB (2 x 2GB) in the USFF (ultra small form factor)

If you mix frequencies of RAM it should default to the lower speed and you probably wouldn't notice the difference in performance if you're just using the system for typical everyday tasks. You can replace the factory installed memory altogether if you want, it doesn't matter, as long as the memory you replace it with is compatible.

I hope this helps clarify things.

October 2nd, 2017 12:00

Thanks for helping out!

No Events found!