Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 14th, 2011 11:00

Dell DataSafe Online

How in the Hell do you get technical support for Dell DataSafe Online?  Can't find it anywhere.  Everywhere I go they say machine out of warranty.  I pay for this seperate and should have ongoing support.  The help section on the DataSafe Online suck.  Anybody have a # co  to call for support?

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

December 14th, 2011 11:00

Dell Datasafe Online
  Contact Us    |   EULA  |   Terms & Conditions 
Learn More About Dell DataSafe Online
 What is Dell DataSafe Online Backup?< ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>
 When does my subscription to Dell DataSafe Online start?< ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>
 Why should I back up my files using online backup?< ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>
 How safe is Dell DataSafe Online?< ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>
 How does DataSafe Online work?< ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>
 How do I know it's running?< ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>
 How do I know when the download is complete?< ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>
 How often should I make backups?< ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>
 How much can I back up?< ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>
 What files should I back up?< ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>
 Will I be able to retrieve previous versions of my back-ups?< ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>
 What happens to my data when my subscription ends?< ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>
 What are the system requirements for using Dell DataSafe Online?< ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

What is Dell DataSafe Online Backup?

Dell DataSafe Online is an online backup service that encrypts and backs up your important data (music, photos, email, financial records, and other important documents) offsite to secure data centers using your internet connection and helps protect it from software corruption, accidental deletion of files, hard drive crashes, theft and natural disasters.

Dell DataSafe Online's "one-step" setup and file selection wizard was designed to make using this service easy for any type of user.

When does my Subscription to Dell DataSafe Online start?

If you received this service with your purchase of a new XPS™, Inspiron™ or Vostro™ system, the service will come already-installed. You must activate your Dell DataSafe account as soon as your computer is delivered to gain its benefits, as your 1-year Subscription will start to run from the date we ship the computer to you. To activate your 30 day trial, go to run/programs/find the DataSafe Online program and follow the registration process by clicking on “activate your account”. To activate your DataSafe Online account, click on the desktop icon and follow the registration process by clicking on “Activate Your Account”.

If you are purchasing DataSafe to download onto your current computer, then your 1-year Subscription will begin as soon as your order is accepted by us. To register your account and download Dell DataSafe Online, check for the Dell “welcome email” and follow activation steps. A Dell order number is required to complete the registration.

Why should I back up my files using online backup?

Dell DataSafe Online's automated file selection and scan takes the headache out of looking for data to back up on your PC. Also, by registering all of your Dell systems for DataSafe Online, you can avoid the hassles of using disks, tapes, DVDs, and floppies for your backups.

How safe is Dell DataSafe Online?

Dell DataSafe Online uses Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) 256-bit encryption to protect your data and it also uses Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) 128-bit to protect the transmission of your data to the data centers. Once your data arrives in the data center, we store multiple redundant copies of all your encrypted files. We understand the importance of keeping your important data secure and protected so you will be able to access your data through a unique user name and password combination. We use a variety of security technologies and procedures to help protect your important data from unauthorized access, use, and disclosure.

How does Dell DataSafe Online work?

There are two parts to your Dell DataSafe Online backup service.

1) Dell DataSafe Online Software - The DataSafe Online software makes it easy to select what you’d like backed up along with the schedule for performing backups. You can choose the default backup plan to quickly and easily help protect all of your important data, or modify the plan to back up only certain types of files. For the length of your subscription, DataSafe Online software will run your backup plan automatically at the scheduled time.

2) Dell DataSafe Online Website - The website allows you to remotely access and share the last set of files you backed up. You can also use the website to update your billing and account information.

How do I know it's running?

It's easy: whenever you want to check to see how your backups are doing, just launch the Dell DataSafe Online software using the icon on your desktop. Dell DataSafe Online can also be accessed through Dell Support Center on your desktop. Extensive logs will provide a quick status of your backups and recovery.

How do I know when the download is complete?

After each online backup, you will receive a confirmation message stating that your backup is complete. After your files are initially backed up, only changes to the files will be saved during subsequent backups. This eliminates redundant copies of the same file leaving you more room to back up your most valuable data. It also helps save time required for each backup by only backing up the files that have changed since the last backup.

How often should I make backups?

By default, remote backups to secure servers will automatically occur once a week. You can customize this backup schedule, or run manual backups anytime. Dell DataSafe Online's flexible scheduler allows you to specify which days you would like backups to happen.

How much can I back up?

You can back up any combination of photos, digital music, Word documents, and other important files that add up to your storage size capacity. See the chart at the bottom of this page as your guide to understand how many files you can back up.

What files should I back up?

Dell DataSafe Online can store many different file types. Use the easy-to-use category selection screen or choose specific files and folders. You should only back up personal files that are important and cannot be easily replaced. You should not back up your Windows® operating system or program files.

Will I be able to retrieve previous versions of my back-ups?

No. Dell DataSafe Online is a back-up service and not an archival service. This means that each time it performs a back-up, it replaces the previous copy of your backed-up data with the most recent version of the data on your system, and you will not be able to access any previous back-up.

What happens to my data when my subscription ends?

If your subscription is not renewed before it expires, your account will be deactivated and your data deleted. If you want to check your subscription end date, please click log into your web account. Your subscription end date is noted in the right-most frame of the My Account section. In any event, we will send you a reminder just before your annual subscription ends.

What are the system requirements for using Dell DataSafe Online?

Dell DataSafe Online requires a Microsoft®  Windows XP or Windows VistaTM  operating system; Pentium M 733 Mhz processor or higher; 512 MB memory or more; and at least 15 MB of hard disk space.

© 2007 Dell Products. Dell, the Dell logo, DataSafe and the DataSafe logo are registered trademarks or trademarks of Dell Inc. Dell disclaims proprietary interest in the trademarks or trade names of other entities used to refer to them or their products.

49 Posts

December 14th, 2011 12:00

Dell DataSafe is truly a hateful product.

I will answer your question regarding how to get support but first want to suggest that you consider some of the many great and less expensive alternatives including www.carbonite.com, www.mozy.com, and www.dropbox.com.  Dropbox gives you up to 16gb free storage, 2gb just for signing up, or 2.25gb is you sign up via this link http://db.tt/xecIguL

But to directly answer your question of how to get support for Dell Datasafe here you go...

https://www.delldatasafe.com/

<--- Pathetic.  And not just becuase te post was edited without notice but becuase it shows how Dell does not care about helping customers find solutions to their problems.  Another reason to consider DropBox, Mozy, or Carbonite and dump the hateful Dell DataSafe!

January 10th, 2012 12:00

Another user reported receiving Dell DataSafe help at this number: 877-218-1671.  

The discussion is here:

en.community.dell.com/.../18770565.aspx

May 22nd, 2012 05:00

it hasn't got any better. I am in the same situation with the same lack of support

1 Message

September 17th, 2012 21:00

My Dell DataSafe Online was set to expire on 8/31/12.  I went ahead and renewed it and even upgraded the storage limit.  Dell charged my credit card for the renewal, but my account still expired on 8/31/12 and now shows as deactivated.

It's extremely difficult to find any support for this service.  I finally got a hold of technical support who told me the issue was I changed my credit card information.  They said they would call me if 5 business days to solve this.  Of course, they call when I can never answer the phone.

Does anyone have any recommendations.  This is not rocket science.  I can't figure out who to call to even cancel my account.  My next step is to contact VISA and dispute the charge.

2 Posts

September 20th, 2012 13:00

Don't have and answer but do have the same problem.  Not a good system.

1 Message

November 1st, 2012 09:00

I don't have an answer, but here's my problem which remains open after almost one-month of "assistance" by Dell:

During the past year, I have made the following purchases from DELL:

• 12/16/2011:  DELL Inspiron A10 2320 All-in-One Computer

• 2/17/2012:    DELL DataSafe Online

In my use of these DELL products I have been satisfied in general.

On or about the end of September, 2012, one of my computers crashed and all data and programs were lost. I thought that I had nothing to worry about since I had diligently backed-up this computer using the DELL DataSafe Online since its purchase. Little did I know … On DELL DataSafe Online, this computer is shown as “jewel-PC.”

Early in October, 2012, after I had successfully restored Microsoft Windows 7, I wasted spent several days attempting to restore my data from DELL DataSafe Online. These efforts were not successful and I finally contact DELL on, or before, October 10th for assistance. I have worked with several DELL associates and am convinced that they have done their best to deliver a solution. They too, have been unsuccessful. And since contacting DELL absolutely no progress, in terms of resolving the problem and successfully restoring my data has been made.

It has been confirmed to me by these DELL associates that my date is indeed store on some “server” in DELL’s possession. This message is to respectfuylly request of you that you take the necessary actions to return my data to me in a usable format. I don’t care about your product, in fact, I have completely lost all confidence in it … I just want my data (in a usable format)!

nikotyme

1 Message

November 21st, 2012 16:00

I am having the same problem. Have paid for a 30 GB back up and after hours of trying to back up getting error message Backup failed W32.

Anyone can give advice what to do. Getting no tech support.

2 Posts

January 1st, 2013 07:00

I've been having similar problems.  Signed up, paid for it, but never got past the DOWNLOAD screen.  Everytime I'd hit download, it would begin, then abord.  When I tried to sign into my account, once again the only page I got was DOWNLOAD.

Finally got a number to call.  They just told me they can cancel for me.  Of course, the first time I called, I was disconnected during a transfer.  But the second time I got somebody to help me.

1-800-624-9897

2 Posts

January 1st, 2013 07:00

1-800-624-9897  took me weeks to get this number

No Events found!