Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 25th, 2013 11:00

Dell Datasafe no longer running (again)

Well, it's been since August, 2012 since my last problem but Datasafe Online seems to be having problems again.  Starting 11/20/2013 I received a "backup failed" message with a message number A2211.  This for 2 days and then A8989 since.  I don't have any way of finding out why and what's going on.

Can anyone help, please?

November 25th, 2013 11:00

I have a related problem.

Datasafe online has been running fine since January 2013, backing up four different laptops - A (mine) and B C and D belonging to my three sons.

Recently son B spilt water on his laptop and it has stopped working. I then restored his data onto the desktop of laptop A, in order to create a backup  USB memory stick for him. Since then laptop A has refused to backup. It runs the daily scan, counting the number of files etc, and then I get this error message "Backup failed (W2)".

This may be a coincidence of course, but that seems unlikely. I cannot find any reference to that error code.

Many thanks for your help.

Simon Judge

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

November 25th, 2013 12:00

November 25th, 2013 14:00

Dear Speedstep

I am not sure which posting you are commenting on, please see this screen scrape relating to my W2 error.

Many thanks

7 Posts

November 25th, 2013 19:00

Here is an Image of my Datasafe backup log:

7 Posts

November 25th, 2013 19:00

I have found the A8989 message is on the server side.  Can anyone tell me how I can get Dell to look in to this?

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

November 26th, 2013 08:00

The Dell forum is not direct contact with Dell Support in the UK nor is it Direct contact with Dell DataSafe Support in the UK.

Unable to access     This error indicates a file or files were in use when a backup or restore was attempted. Ensure all data is closed prior to starting backup or restore.

http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/topics/topic.aspx/global/shared/services/datasafe/en/emea/uk/bsd/datasafe?c=uk&l=en&cs=ukbsdt1

I also see

£29.00 10gig
£39.00 20gig
£45.00 30gig

If you have exceeded your 100gig limit by having multiple 24 gig backups you may be required to purchase the 150 gig package or greater.

https://www.delldatasafe.co.uk/apos_select.aspx

Your Logs have Contact Links.

If your subscription is not renewed before it expires, your account will be deactivated and your data deleted. If you want to check your subscription end date, please click log into your web account. Your subscription end date is noted in the right-most frame of the My Account section.

Online Error Codes

The following table describes DataSafe online error codes (Table 1).

Error Code Description
LA1001: Communication Linked Dropped This error means that there is a problem with the Internet connection. When data travels via the Internet, it is sent in several packets. Some of these packets can be lost or corrupted before they reach our servers. The error-checking built into DataSafe Online attempts to resend the data packets but aborts if it keeps encountering problems. If this is the first time this error has occurred, stop the backup and restart it later in the day.
LA1001:LostLink This error means the connection with the Internet was lost. Restart the backup when the Internet connection has been restored. If this happens on a nightly backup, offset the start time to an hour before or after what is currently set.
LA2269: Invalid File Size This error means that one of the configuration files that Dell DataSafe Online uses is zero in length, less than 16 bytes in length, or is corrupt. It has no relation to the data limit or the amount of files being backed up.
RA2003: MD5 Validation Failed This error means that data is becoming corrupted before it reaches the Dell DataSafe Online servers. The error-checking that Dell DataSafe Online performs catches the error before any corrupted data is retained.
LA2006:WrongPassword This error indicates the password on the installation does not match what the DataSafe backup servers have on record. Exit DataSafe completely and relaunch the program. Re-enter the username and password at the login screen. Restart the computer if the login screen is not coming up after properly exiting DataSafe.
RA2006: Invalid passphrase This error indicates the password on the installation does not match what the DataSafe backup servers have on record. Exit DataSafe completely and relaunch the program. Re-enter the username and password at the login screen. Restart the computer if the login screen is not coming up after properly exiting DataSafe.
2042 This error indicates that a version of DataSafe is older than the one currently installed. Remove the current version of DataSafe, download and then install the latest release.
RA2047 This is a temporary database error. The last backup did not properly sync-up when it logged in for the last backup session. Normally, it auto-corrects itself before the next backup. If this error occurs more than once, change the backup schedule to run 30 minutes before or after its current start time.
RA2047: File on server(LS5) has a different account ID This is a temporary database error. The last backup did not properly sync-up when it logged in for the last backup session. Normally, it auto-corrects itself before the next backup. If this error occurs more than once, change the backup schedule to run 30 minutes before or after its current start time.
LA2197:MutexTimeout This error means a SQL record linked to the account has temporarily become unavailable. This occurs in rare instances where a change is being written to a specific record or if a SQL backup job is running. Restart the backup or restore at a later time. This issue is usually resolved within ten minutes.
LA2203:InvalidMd5 This error typically means there is a corrupt or damaged file in the backup set, or one of the backup archives being created is corrupt or damaged. The best course of action is a full scandisk to repair any possible damaged files or sectors on the computer.
LA2211:CantCreateDirError This error indicates that maintenance is being performed on a server. There is nothing wrong with the account. Wait until the maintenance is complete to perform the backup.
LA2218:FileFindError This error occurs when a temporary Internet folder, page file or deleted file that was part of the backup set after it had completed the scanning portion of the backup process. Review or reselect the files for backup and back up the data again.
2235 This error indicates there is insufficient available disk space on the computer for the backup to occur properly. There must be at least as much free space available as the amount being backed up or restored, plus 60 MB of swap space. The free space also has to be located on the same drive where DataSafe is installed.
LA2261:CapExceeded This error indicates backup space has run out. The storage space on the account needs to be upgraded or files need to be deselected from within the backup and the backup will need to be run again.
LA2266:RestoreError This error occurs when restoring files back to your computer has failed. This could be caused by any number of problems that prevent one or more files from being restored, e.g., unable to write to the file, unable to overwrite an existing file, decryption/decompression error (usually means corruption). In Windows® XP, create a folder and restore to that folder. In Windows Vista®, create a temporary folder, setting the folder permissions so everyone can access it and then restore the data into that folder.
LA2269:InvalidFileSize

This error indicates that one of the configuration files that Dell DataSafe Online uses is zero in length, less then 16bytes in length, or is corrupt. It has no relation to the customer's data limit or the amount of files being backed up. To resolve this issue, perform the following steps:

1. Click the Start button and select Find or Search.
  2. Select For Files and Folders.
  3. When the next screen comes up, enter *.@DB where it says Named.
  4. Where it says Look In, select Local Disk or C: and click Find or Search Now.
  5. The search results should find at least one file. The @DB files have a computer-generated name ending with the @DB extension, e.g.,01C227E5E51876D6.@DB.
 Note:  
  These directions are intended only to fix this specific error. Altering or removing any other portion of the Dell DataSafe Online program may have unforeseen results and is done at your own risk.  
2287 This error indicates that there is less than 5 percent of free space remaining on the drive where DataSafe is installed. Check the available disk space of the drive where the backup software is installed. At least 2,060 MB of disk space must be available when performing a 2,000 MB backup. In other words, 2,060 MB to every 2,000 MB of backup space must be available.
LA2287:MaxDiskSpaceReached This error indicates the Local Disk C: is full and the backup software will be unable to create the .ARC file. This is due to the hard drive being full. Access the following folder path Documents and setting\user profile\Application data\onlinebackup\Database and delete the contents of the file.
RA2296:HistoricalArchiveSetNotFound This error indicates possible data corruption on the server. Contact Dell Technical Support.
2810 This error typically indicates that an Internet connection is not available, there is no Internet connection, or the connection is experiencing problems. Stop any current backup or restore, verify the Internet connection, and try again. If you are using a firewall, review the firewall setting to ensure that DataSafe Online is able to connect to the Internet, or contact the Internet provider for additional assistance. This error is more likely to come up in a corporate environment than a home setting.
LA2810: NoRedirector This error indicates the connection to the Internet is unconnected or unavailable. Stop any current backup or restore. Verify the Internet connection is connected and attempt the backup or restore again. If a firewall is being used, review the firewall settings to ensure that Dell DataSafe Online is enabled to connect to the Internet, or contact the provider for additional assistance. Verify a proxy server is not being used (the current implementation of DellDataSafe Online does not support proxy server network environments).
2816 This error indicates DataSafe is encountering a firewall or proxy server. Typically it is a software-based firewall running directly on the machine, such as Norton® Internet Security, Windows Firewall, or other software-based firewall products.
LA2816: HostNameNotFound This error indicates DataSafe is encountering a firewall or proxy server. Typically it is a software-based firewall running directly on the machine, such as Norton® Internet Security, Windows Firewall, or other software-based firewall products.
LA2817: GetSocket This error indicates that the backup software will not connect to perform a backup even though the computer is connected to the Internet. This is caused by a Windows system calling to access the network is failing to open a connection. Go to Start/Run (Windows XP) or Start Search (Windows Vista) and type cmd and then press . On the command line, type Netsh Winsock Reset and press . Then restart the computer.
2261 Protected Data Limit Reached - The amount of data backed up has reached the limit that the DataSafe account will allow. Either deselect files or upgrade the account to accommodate more data.
Upgrade via self-service by clicking Account Info within DataSafe Online or by contacting Customer Support.
LA4104:InvalidDataFormat4 This error means a @DB or @DS file on the account is corrupted or damaged. This is caused by attempting to backup multiple machines with one account, bad hardware, a damaged sector on the drive or Windows Update. The account can be rolled back to a prior day.
LA4169: WaitTimedOutASchd This error indicates the online backup process has timed out. Cancel the installation, right-click on the Task Bar, and select Task Manager. Right-click the online backup process and select End Task.
LA1392:ERROR_FILE_CORRUPT This error means the file or directory is corrupted and unreadable. Check the backup logs to find the erroneous file, remove it, and retry the backup.
Insert %:\ in Drive The % represents a drive letter on the computer. This error indicates there are files or folders selected on a specific drive letter that no longer exists. Typically, this error appears when mapped network drives are removed. Go to the files or folder view within DataSafe to remove any references to nonexistent drive letters or double-check that any needed networked drives are properly connected.
Unable to access This error indicates a file or files were in use when a backup or restore was attempted. Ensure all data is closed prior to starting backup or restore.
W32 This error is the same as the Unable to access error. A file or files were open at the time of the backup or restore.
W64 This is an error generated by the Windows operating system. It indicates that there is a mapped network drive DataSafe online could not access when it attempted to run a backup. In order to correct this error, verify that all mapped network drives selected for backup are working and that they have proper Windows permissions to access them. After that has been confirmed, restart the backup process.
W112 This error is the same as the 2235 and 2287 error messages. Insufficient disk space exists for the backup or restore to proceed. Free up space and try it again.

Table 1: DataSafe Online Error Codes

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

November 26th, 2013 08:00

Well, it's been since August, 2012 since my last problem but Datasafe Online seems to be having problems again.  Starting 11/20/2013 I received a "backup failed" message with a message number A2211.  This for 2 days and then A8989 since.  I don't have any way of finding out why and what's going on.

Can anyone help, please?

A2211 CantCreateDirError

This error indicates that maintenance is being performed on a server.

There is nothing wrong with the account. Wait until the maintenance is complete to perform the backup.

November 26th, 2013 12:00

Dear Speedstep

Thank you  -- I had looked at that before, but I can't see the W2 error code.

Many thanks

SimonJ (was "tempsimon").

7 Posts

November 26th, 2013 16:00

Thanks, the backup is now working.

1 Message

December 1st, 2013 20:00

I also don't see the W2 code -- how do you resolve?  There doesn't appear to be any support with this Dell DataSafe Product -- looks like I may need to ask for a refund.

December 1st, 2013 21:00

Good luck.

I am reaching the renewal anniversary, and have now switched to another product,

No Events found!