Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 16th, 2016 07:00

Dell Desktops, questions before purchasing

Years ago I bought my first Dell, it was a Pentium II, the last one I bought was around 2000/2001. It was over $4000 & included the Dell ADA995 THX 5.1 speaker system which I use to this day without any problems.

15 or more years have passed since then, at that time Dell home desktops were built like tanks & lasted for years.

One concern I have in making a purchase of a 8900 top of the line, is all the problems being reported regarding BIOS issues & general hardware problems/reliability. Are they not what they used to be in these regards?

Also, the amount of complaints regarding customer service/tech support issues concerns me. Should I be?

Another thing that seems to be a problem is orders not being sent on time or being charged for a purchase then going through what appears to be huge hassle getting these issues resolved quickly. I'd like to hear from people that can recall Dell desktops back then & have continued to stay with them.

Thanks  

2 Posts

April 17th, 2016 04:00

These forums were full of helpful owners many years ago. Did they all jump ship & start building their own:emotion-1:

1 Rookie

• 

23 Posts

April 17th, 2016 23:00

I am on my third Dell Desktop.  I purchased an OptiPlex 3020 with the three year American based service plan that was an extra cost option.  I really like the Dell desktops and I like very much the American based service where I can understand the techs talking to me.  I know some of the foreign service techs are trying their best to speak English but sometimes their accent is very difficult for me to understand them.  When I purchased my OptiPlex 3020, I had it set up with Windows 7.  I like Dell products very much and when it is time to order another, I'm pretty sure it would be another Dell.  I'm waiting about the Windows 10 upgrade though, I don't know if I want to try and upgrade to it and run into a problem.  I think I may just wait until Windows 7 is no longer being supported and then just buy a new Dell computer with the latest operating system already installed from the factory. 

1 Rookie

• 

23 Posts

April 17th, 2016 23:00

The operating system is windows 7 Professional, not sure if Windows 7 was still available.   I called the service techs a few times and have had no issues with them.  When I ordered my computer, it came rather quickly on time and I had no problems at all with the purchase.  I purchased only the desktop because the speakers were from my previous Dell computer and they are working well with the new OptiPlex 3020.  Also the Dell monitor I am using is the Dell UltraSharp 2408WFP 24 inch monitor that I purchased in 2009 and it is working well also with the new OptiPlex 3020.  In my opinion Dell products are great.

No Events found!