Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 5th, 2010 13:00

Dell Dimension 2400 crashes after new memory added

This problem is driving me crazy.
I purchased my Dell Dimension 2400 back in 2004 with 512Mb RAM, over time the performance has degraded so I decided to add some more memory.
I  purchased another 512Mb memory from e-bay but although the machine recognised the DIMM had been added the system crashed shortley after boot, the seller kindly swapped the DIMM but the same thing happend and I got a refund. I tried buying memory from another seller, checking that the spec was the same 512MB  PC-2700 DDR-333 DDR 333Mhz MEMORY RAM but the same thing happened. Next I tried a crucial memory DIMM from a friend who was sure it was good but again my machine didn't like it. Eventually I decided the only choice was to get memory directly from DELL (at twice the cost), I thought I may as well get a 1GB DIMM as the only compatible memory was 400Mhz and I didn't want to risk mixing different speed DIMMs. So I ordered the memory and it arrived the very next day. I took out the original dimm and replaced with my bright shiny new one. My machine ran like a dream for a whole day and a half until the dreaded blue screen of death appeared. Now my machine crashes twice a day and internet explorer crashes every 10 minutes and inbetween says that it has detected an error and needs to reload the tab. So before I fetch my hammer, has anybody got any idea what is going on and how to fix the problem?

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

March 5th, 2010 14:00

Exactly what do those BSODs say? It's possible the new RAM failed.  Have you uninstalled and reinstalled it, in case it's not seated properly in the slot?

Reboot and press F12 before Windows starts to load. Go to Utilities partition and run the full RAM tests. Copy error messages, if any. If you get errors, contact Dell for return or replacement.

If you put back the old RAM, does it work?

Dell PCs are fussy about RAM, as you've learned. I bet if you look on the crucial site, it won't list the RAM module borrowed from your friend. Many people on this forum, including me, have purchased RAM from crucial.com. As long as they recommend it for a specific system, it usually works. 

Ron

4.4K Posts

March 5th, 2010 20:00

Third opinion:  Stick with Crucial from their website, works first time and every time.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

March 5th, 2010 20:00

I wouldn't mix RAM ... not in an old Dell.

I used 2gb of GSKILL PC3200 (a matched pair) in my 2350 with good results.

4 Posts

March 6th, 2010 16:00

Hi Ron,
thanks for your advice, I reseated the DIMM and ran 2 memory checks both reported no errors, but I still had problems.
I've put the original 512Mb RAM back in and everything is fine (except it runs like a dog with no legs).
My friend who lent me the crucial RAM module has suggested I need a new mother board.
I reluctant to spend more money on DIMMs from crucial or elseware as I'm already £50 out of pocket.

it's hammer time!

Neil.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

March 6th, 2010 20:00

Neil,

According to the manual, the 2400 uses DIMMS only up to 512MB. But that same page says the max RAM is 2GB. Since there are only 2 RAM slots on the motherboard, I don't know how you'd ever have 2GB installed if it only takes 512MB modules.  Note also that crucial.com does list a 1GB DIMM as being compatible with this system, so there's a typo somewhere. DUH!! 

If the system works with the old RAM installed, it's not a motherboard failure. So no need to worry about that.

If you can't send the new RAM back, the only thing I can suggest is you try to sell it on eBay etc. and buy new RAM from crucial. At least crucial will take it back for a full refund if it doesn't work. And 1 GB is only US$40.

No, master, please not the hammer...!  :emotion-9:

Ron

6.4K Posts

March 6th, 2010 21:00

Ron;

The Dimension 2400 will take 1 GB DIMMs.  The typo was in the original service manual for the 2400 and this has since been corrected to show that the computer will use a max of 2 GB.  I'm using one now that has 1.5 GB installed.  If the OP's problem is not a mechanical failure it probably has something to do with the use of low density modules.  Both Kingston and Crucial have part numbers peculiar to the Dell machines.  Mine are Kingston PC-2700/333 MHz DDR.

4 Posts

March 8th, 2010 09:00

Thanks again to everyone that has responded.

I don't think it's likely that I will get a refund from DELL (they haven't responded to my enquiry) so I'll most likely sell the 1GB RAM DIMM on ebay and try crucial direct from there web site £16 for 512MB or £27 for 1GB. It has also been sugested that a re-install of XP might be required to get the 1GB DIMM working but this seems a bit of overkill, also problematic because my cd drive has packed up.  Maybe I should just take my machine to an expert and get them to sort it. Or maybe it's time to invest in a new system, 6 years is quite a long lifetime for a pc (do you think?). :emotion-42:

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

March 8th, 2010 12:00

Since you bought the 1GB RAM directly from Dell, they should take it back if it doesn't work, regardless of whether it died or because it's just not compatible, as long as you're within their warranty period.  Maybe they'll send a replacement module that works and you'll be done messing about. Besides, since you don't know if this module works, you'd only open a new can of worms if you sell it on eBay..

Your system is getting old, but only you can decide whether £27 is worth it to keep it going a while longer vs the cost for a new system. 

Good luck whichever way you go!

Ron

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

March 8th, 2010 12:00

GB085443 

Time for a computer.   :emotion-5:

Bev.

1 Message

October 29th, 2011 18:00

old thread but ill try to help...

it usually has to do with the ram having issues with the graphics driver. dell does say that the machine will take 2-1gb cards but i think the frequency has to be correct. sometimes you can get by with mixing the cards (1gb and 256mb and such).

i had my 2400 dual booted with ubuntu 10.10 and while one combo would work with xp, it wouldnt work with ubu. i pared the problem down to graphic drivers.

personally i think 2gb is pushing it and i would settle for a pair of matched 512mb cards and deal with it.

the best thing to do is double the money that you would spend on ram and upgrade to a newer tower with the ram already in it!!! --along with a way faster cpu ect. which is what i just did. these old machines make decent file grinders (which doesnt take much ram) but for the little money you would spend on a better used tower...i would spend the long buck. by the time you are done messing around with the old girl you would bought a much better box.

4 Posts

October 30th, 2011 15:00

thanks for your advice, I struggled along with the original memory for a while but eventually decided it was time for a new machine.

I may decide to rebuild the Dell and install Linux.

No Events found!