Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

U

December 28th, 2008 17:00

Dell Dimension 5100 failed to boot

Hi all,

I have a Dell Dimension 5100 which failed to boot up after powering it off for four days. Noting unusual about the PC, all cable is intact. When i push the power button, lights 1 & 3 are on and stay on with nothing.

Any one have any idea of what's causing this problem?

Thank you in advance.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

December 28th, 2008 18:00

ususim

Have you recently installed any hardware?

1x3x diagnostic lights, indicates a memory failure.   Try opening the case, remove and reseat the modules into the slots.

See HERE 

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

for more information.

If the above does not fix the problem, try this:

Remove all the memory modules, then install only one module in slot 1, then see if the system boots and if the computer starts normally, reinstall an additional module.

Does not boot, move the module to slot 2 and again see if the system boots, no boot, try the module in slot 3, no boot, try installing in slot 4.

Still does not boot, then remove the first module and using the second one, repeat the sequence described above.

Still no boot, try installing any remaining modules, one at a time, using the above procedure.

Continue until you have identified a faulty module [or slot] or reinstalled all modules without error.

Bev.

4 Posts

December 28th, 2008 21:00

Bev.

No, I didn't install any new hardware.

The PC was totally power off for the last four days and got this problem turning it on this morning. Initially, i open the case to check all the cable and socket are secured with no luck; however after seeing your suggestion to reseat the memory modules, the system boots up again.

Thank you very much.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

December 29th, 2008 08:00

ususim

Happy to hear that the problem is resolved.

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

December 29th, 2008 08:00

ususim

Happy to hear that the problem is resolved.

Bev.

No Events found!