Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

May 28th, 2006 13:00

Dell Dimension 5150/e510 and x800 Pro

hi, i`m having problems with my graphics card.

i recently cought an x800pro, and i tried inserting i into my new dell pc, it`s a cpi-e card, so i stuck it in the pci-e slot on the motherboard. the powersupply in the system is only 305W so i bought  anew one which is 500W. i installed this, and connected the pci-e power cable to the x800 pro.

when i boot the fan on the card powers up and the pc wont post. green lights on the front display show the numbers 1 3 and 4, i read the owners manual under troubleshooting and it says that this might be due to the card not being insered properly, but this isnt the case, it is in properly.

when i insert the card, the computer powers up on its own, without me pressing the power button, and then it takes about 5 seconds, and theres and attempt to post, and a beep, and thenn it restarts, this happens over and over again until i turn off the mains.

i`ve tried the card in another computer and it works fine, i`m so annoyed

any help would be great.

Message Edited by diskbox on 05-28-200609:16 AM

683 Posts

May 30th, 2006 19:00

disk --

You wrote: "when i insert the card, the computer powers up on its own, without me pressing the power button, and then it takes about 5 seconds, and theres and attempt to post, and a beep, and thenn it restarts, this happens over and over again until i turn off the mains."

Overall your problem definitely seems to be related to one of not getting enough voltage on the +12V rail, but what intrigued me from your description is that the computer powers up on its own without you pressing the power button upon inserting the video card.  That should definitely not be happening.  In addition, the POST failure should not be followed by subsequent attempts to POST. 

You've got a circuit running through your motherboard when you should not.  I would question the power switch line -- just a tangle of wires running from the back side of what you and I call the Power Button.  It sounds like it is permanently 'depressed', on the inside bit of it.  (If the button were physically permanently depressed, I'm sure you would be able to tell this by the lack of clicky sounds when your finger pressed it down.) 

What to do?  Well, you can disconnect that power button lead wires (it ends out in one or two tiny prongs that stick into your motherboard).  Plug in your card.  Then stick the two lead wires back into the appropriate spot on the motherboard.  If the computer starts up, then its definitely permanently depressed electrically.

No Events found!