Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 14th, 2008 07:00

Dell Dimension 8400

I have Dimension 8400 with 1 GB memory (533 mhz, 2 DIMM, 512M) and I plan to upgrade up to 3 GB or 4 GB but I have concern, I was told to upgrade my CPU latest BIOS revision prior to upgrading my memoery as I haven't done so since I got new computer 3 years ago. Why should I upgrade when I have no problem with CPU so far?  Also BIOS will address 4 GB of memory, only 3GB can be utilized by the system. Is that true? The modules must be purchased and installed in PAIRS for dual channel performance meaning I have to buy in pairs of 1 GB? My system I believe have 4 sockets so am I allowed to have pairs of 512MB and add 2 sticks of 1 GB for the total of 3 GB to boost the performance without any problem?    

Please let me know.  Many thanks!

141 Posts

November 14th, 2008 07:00

huntr,

I would just add the two 1GB sticks of DDR2 PC2-5300 memory to the available slots and boot up and see if the 3GB of memory shows up in the Bios Setup. If it does, let it boot into windows. If it doesn't, power off and pull the two 1GB sticks of DDR2 PC2-5300 and the flash the Bios to A09.

No Events found!