Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 6th, 2012 06:00

Dell Inspiron 531 Won't Boot?

Hi,

My 531 has started playing up. I upgraded the memory a couple of weeks ago but that didn't seem to cause any worries at the time.

When I switch on last couple of days, I can hear the hard drive (?) motor(?) / fan sound rising and falling like a siren, as if the pc is trying to boot but is unable. The monitor remains in darkness. After about 20-30 seconds the fan sound goes normal and the 531 appears to be functioning, but the screen remains in total darkness, as if it were switched off.

After several minutes of no screen activity all I can do is hold the start switch in, in order to shut down. I know the pc doesn't like this action but what else is there to do - I do not know how to restart this pc apart from through the screen options, which of course I have not got at the moment? Ctrl+Alt+Delete does not seem to work for the 531.

Perplexed.

Advice please.

Many thanks,

KR

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

October 7th, 2012 07:00

Sounds like you're all set!

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

Hi kr236rk,

Ok, changing the monitor was the first thing to try. Are you using integrated graphics or a dedicated video card?

2 Intern

• 

512 Posts

Update: I fitted a different monitor to the pc and it just gives me a Dell colour test display moving across the screen. What have I got here please - failure of the graphics card or something more serious? I can hear to pc running normally at the moment but I have no monitor action apart from the test display.

Why would a failing(?) graphics card cause an interrupted boot sequence though?

Thanks.

2 Intern

• 

512 Posts

October 6th, 2012 07:00

Did a restart - the pc still does the siren sound [defective Raedon?] for several moments before it finally boots completely up, then I get monitor picture from the original Dell onboard graphics (giant icons/wrong resolution now of course) - should I remove the Raedon PCI card please?

2 Intern

• 

512 Posts

Thanks, I had a monitor problem about 2 years ago - the monitor died: I thought it was the graphics. So I bought a seperate graphics card for the 531 to replace the integrated one (which there was nothing wrong with at that stage it turned out). The card seems to be an *ATI Radeon HD 4600* ~ what happens if I slot this card out, would that be a diagnostic please? Would the original on-board, integrated card kick back in?

2 Intern

• 

512 Posts

Right, just reconnected monitor to the onboard graphics & I have a picture! I there going to be issues or can I leave the other card? Is that other card totalled then? In which case I might as well bin it?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

October 6th, 2012 14:00

Yes, I would remove it. Definitely sounds like there's a problem with that card.

2 Intern

• 

512 Posts

October 6th, 2012 19:00

Excellent :)

already uninstalled the drivers - wouldn't surprise me if the fan has stopped working on the ATI card? It's coming out anyway - will update. Thanks.

2 Intern

• 

512 Posts

October 6th, 2012 20:00

removed the card and the pc booted up instantly, it is running so quiet now I had to double check that the main fan was working! Also I get 100% screen now, since today everything was 1/4" cropped off on one side, now i have the whole picture. Anything else I need to check please?

4 Operator

• 

4.4K Posts

May 18th, 2013 03:00

This thread has been locked due to inactivity.For assistance,with same issue or a different issue,please click New Post on the top right to start a New Thread.                                  

No Events found!