Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 2nd, 2013 03:00

Dell Local Backup

I made a local backup using the Dell utility, 2 days later my HDD crashed irretrievably. I now have a new dell laptop and I'm trying to restore files from the file and folder backup. Dell Datasafe Local Backup and Restore is telling me I need to upgrade to Premium to do that. Or, I can just restore it to factory setup. <ADMIN NOTE: Substitute character removed as per TOU> . It feels like rape to me (or what I would imagine it to feel like).  Is there any way around this?

In summary, the backup is useless unless I pay to unlock it - and my Dell trust level is now very low. I would add that I have been a loyal Dell customer for over 8 years and have bought 4 Dell laptops - and recommended them to others.

One other thing - original backup done under Vista Home; I want to restore to W 7 Home premium. I assume no probs with this.

Any ideas out there?

Thanks in advance for any useful advice.

J

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

November 2nd, 2013 05:00

Hi James,

Yes, you'll have to pay for the premium version to restore files. There are of course many good backup utilities out there, but for the backup you have, you don't have any other options. I think the premium version is about $40, which is what you'll pay for something like Acronis anyway. Sorry about your HDD crashing but it happens.

There should be no problem restoring files to Windows 7.

No Events found!