Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 10th, 2014 15:00

Dell OptiPlex 3020 wont boot the Windows 7 DVD

This machine arrived working perfectly fine, I installed everything on it I needed and we were putting it into use when it started giving BSOD errors. I took the machine and booted from the Windows 7 dvd, ran CHKDSK /R - it came up with no errors. Was trying to get it to rebuild the bootrec - then when I reboot the system comes to a light blue screen and hangs. Booting from the windows dvd will display Loading Windows (percentage bar) then the Win 7 logo animation appears, then shortly after that a BSOD appears. 

The stop error has been different a few times with stop 50 page_fault_in_nonpaged_area and stop 7e WimFsF.sys being the most frequent.

I read that this might be a memory problem, got the mem test from the dvd running, in the most thorough mode, ran for a number of hours, completed 7 passes through the memory - no problems found.

I read that it could be a disk error so I replace the drive with a known working drive. Same error.

I read that it could need the bios upgraded, so I did, same error.

So here I am hoping someone will read this and help me resolve this problem.

Thank you,

Donald P. Lareau
Duet Productions, Ltd.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

March 11th, 2014 12:00

Windows 8 machines with UEFI bios will ONLY Boot  Windows 8 64 bit OR Ubuntu.

Unless secure boot can be turned off and Legacy CSM GPT boot turned on it will not.

1. Boot Dos

2. Boot earlier versions of windows including 7 or Vista or XP.

3.  Boot any OS that has not paid the Fee to Microsoft for a Certificate.  Canonical Paid for the windows 8 Certificate to be in Ubuntu 12.04.3 and later versions.

When a UEFI Secure Boot system boots up Ubuntu, it will first boot a loader image. Canonical will be relying on a Microsoft key for booting this loader image from its CDs and will be signing the loader only with that key due to UEFI restrictions.

Other linux installs that rely on GPLv3 GRUB 2 boot loader will not load nor will MSDOS, IBM DOS, FREEDOS, WIN9X ETC.

This booting lockout also includes floppy disks and Usb flash drives.

http://ozlabs.org/docs/uefi-secure-boot-impact-on-linux.pdf

Secure boot technology is now part of the new UEFI firmware specification. It is a given that Microsoft®’s Windows 8 and beyond will require secure boot to be enabled by default. UEFI secure boot is a technology integrated into the latest version (v2.3.1) of the UEFI specification. When UEFI Bios is at the 3.0 level computers will ONLY be able to boot secure boot and Windows only or Ubuntu since they paid for a Microsoft Windows 8 bootloader. CSM Legacy booting will be Gone at that time.  

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

March 10th, 2014 18:00

Hi Donald,

You've done some many things, it's going to be hard to sort out the original problem. We normally recommend you run the Dell diagnostics to check for hardware problems. 

10 Posts

March 11th, 2014 08:00

Thank you for your reply,

I found a diagnostics iso download - will run this and let you know what I find.

10 Posts

Thank you for the suggestion, I will give that a try.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

Stop 7E usually lists an incompatible driver or malware.

Diagnostics do not fix bad ram or bad hard drive or bad power supply or corrupted windows install.  I would suggest F12 booting a live linux DVD  to see if the hardware is hozed.

STOP: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0x804E518E, 0xFC938104, 0xFC937E04)
SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

WUSB54GCx86.sys- Address 92D89498 base at 92D7c000, Date  stamp 45c04cc9

ubuntu-12.04.3-dvd-i386.iso

ubuntu-12.04.3-dvd-amd64.iso

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

March 11th, 2014 09:00

Keep in mind that Live Ubuntu does not touch your hard drive.

It doesnt even need a hard drive installed to run because it makes a ramdisk to load linux into.

10 Posts

March 11th, 2014 11:00

i am able to boot a ubuntu cd - not any windows cd or dvd though - very odd

ubuntu sees the hard drive and the files that were copied to it

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

March 11th, 2014 12:00

If the hard drive is ok then copy your documents off and reinstall windows as it is corrupted.

If the hard drive is not ok you may not be able to copy the files off to a flash drive or some other media.

Ubuntu will boot  LIVE and work without any hard drive physically  installed.

10 Posts

March 11th, 2014 13:00

UEFI is off, legacy is on, win7 came installed from dell, win 7 dvd wont get to the menu no mater what I do (it did before, and I didnt really do anything to break it)

freedos boots, ubuntu boots, some earlier win versions have problems but I think it is because of the hardware being too new. I would think my win 7 dvd would work (as it had before) 

Anyway you are a wealth of great information, thanks for all the info!

I guess the world will be different if ms ever succeeds cramming enough copies of win 8 down everyone's throats - but I'm hopfull someone will find a way to jailbreak those too if need be

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

March 11th, 2014 16:00

The diagnostics are also on the Dell drivers and utilities disc that should have come with your system.

10 Posts

March 11th, 2014 16:00

I booted into the dell diagnostics, it came up with the message: system error not recognized as a supported dell pc these diagnostics may not be run on unsupported systems

This is a Dell OptiPlex 3020 shipped just 6 weeks ago, did I download an older diagnostics iso?

1 Message

April 1st, 2014 11:00

How I got Windows 7 64bit installed on Optiplex 3020

1. Used another relatively new Windows 7 PC to load OS onto the HDD

2. Once windows installed on other PC, removed HDD and put back into the Optiplex 3020

3. System booted to Windows 7, downloaded drivers to USB and installed.

You need an addtional PC to do this but it was a quick fix rather than messing with BIOS on the Optiplex 3020.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

April 2nd, 2014 10:00

If you have a blank hard drive it will boot and allow install in CSM Legacy mode. If the bios see's a WIN8 installed HDD it will not boot an earlier OS.  Ubuntu 12.04.5 boots because it has a windows 8 certificate.

4 Posts

May 30th, 2015 10:00

Removed

No Events found!