Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

N

February 1st, 2013 19:00

Dell Optiplex 755 SFF Fan & cooling AND Video Card solutions

I have seen a few people wonder what Video Card will go in a Dell Optiplex 755 SFF and the next thing comes up is cooling.  Well:

1. I installed an ATI Radeon 6670 low profile video card http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161397  

The card works but has that dual fan setup. Issue was the card would not fit with the fan on.  I just mounted the fan to the top of the case. I sit the 755 horizontally so it blows down on the vidcard.  Well the card ran while playing WoW at 80°C.  That is a bit hot which I did not like. I notice the case design is not one of the best at all.  Dell has a fan blowing inward towards a hot CPU and into the case and onto the motherboard.  No wonder there are cases where the components burnout in this model.

Well I reversed the fan so it would blow the air out the front and this had an improvement but then I added the video card and now this was no longer enough. I said latter what temps it was running at. So... 

2. I added a 50mm Evercool fan: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835119100 

I have the fan mounted to the back blowing in the same direction as the CPU fan. (toward the front)  Now the temps have dropped by 10°C. The 50mm fan fit perfectly to the back height-wise.  I'm thinking of adding another one as 2 will fit.  The PC runs fine.

I hope this helps.....

1 Message

February 4th, 2013 10:00

"Reversing the processor fan"

Thats all I did to bring temperature down on my Optiplex GX620 SFF. I don't think you need to install any addtional fans.

1 Rookie

• 

33 Posts

February 4th, 2013 17:00

Oh I know.....I did that first before buying the 6670 Vidcard.  Before the vidcard everytime going into the case it seemed a bit hot.  It was okay when I had an ATI 5500 series vidcard in it but the card was not performing well enough for me.  I changed to cable internet and saw the same performance so I bought the 6670 and saw better framerates more often.  The only thing that made a big change on this system with the game was when I changed from the Core 2 Duo to the Core 2 Quad. Q6700.  

Anyways, so reversing the fan did help with the case heat but the 6670 vidcard was too hot for my liking so I got the fan which made an improvement. So the fan is mainly to keep the vidcard cooler.

February 19th, 2013 09:00

i have a radeon hd 7770 attached to mine i took off the metal off that sits in top of the fans and it fits i also bought a 500 watts power supply i have the same fan setup except that i have to put it so that the air goes out in front thanks for the tip i will try Ur setup i just mention my graphics card because i think is the best setup for a gaming comp with this kind of graphics card.

1 Rookie

• 

33 Posts

February 19th, 2013 09:00

An hd7770 cool. they make a low profile version of that? Being a SFF system though how did you get a 500watt PSU in there. Where did u find that?  Some people have even used a newer quad cpu with it but I'm a skeptic of that one. not sure I wanna spend the money to find out otherwise.

893 Posts

February 19th, 2013 11:00

"Reversing the processor fan"

Thats all I did to bring temperature down on my Optiplex GX620 SFF. I don't think you need to install any addtional fans.

Unfortunately it is not such a good idea, because inward blowing fan directs air over processor and line of capacitors, I am lazy to edit this picture of 755 SFF motherboard, just look at upper part, right above on the left and rigit side of processor socket - those things are running hot, so all of you - you just shorten life of your motherboard!

1 Rookie

• 

33 Posts

February 19th, 2013 12:00

Uh yeah u r right but the 755 comes stock with the fan blowing inward from the front into the cpu and across the mboard.  This IS The issue. So we all reversed the fan to blow outward (out of the front). My rear fan blows outside air in to help cool the vidcard but that air then gets blown out the front due to reversing that front cpu fan that Dell obviously screwed up on design-wise.

893 Posts

February 19th, 2013 13:00

You actually have special CPU shroud which get intake air, circulates over capacitors and processor and throws this hot air out, all in one structure, I have the same on XPS GEN 3, I wanted to do the same, but after finding out the secret behind, I choose extra fans. My GEN 3 is going through 9 years of service without any, knock on wood, problems with CPU.

I can not comment on overall cooling issue, but would recommend for anyone else (unless you can still return card) to go with Sapphire 7750 low profile card, less heat generation, and take a look, it has only 1 fan, so the card is not expected to run hot.

1 Rookie

• 

33 Posts

February 20th, 2013 00:00

what you are saying sounds good but all that matters is what has been proven & this model does have a history of burnt capacitors h what not. You can others having the same issue. I myself did not get the idea to reverse the fan. The idea comes from several different YouTube videos. I know when opening the system it would always have alot of heat but after the fan being reversed it was not so hot anymore. In fact my Vidcard was running at higher temps. I reverse fan & see a change in that. That change just wasn't enough for my liking.

Your special shroud theory does not fly here. You keep stating another model Dell. The 755s fan blows into the heat sink & that heat does/did get blown into the system.  So at the end. ...I have a system now that runs at 40°C including the vidcard which b4 ran a hell lot hotter than that b4.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

February 20th, 2013 08:00

The card works but has that dual fan setup. Issue was the card would not fit with the fan on.  I just mounted the fan to the top of the case.

A better idea would have been a card that fits in the chassis, like the Sapphire 7750.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

February 20th, 2013 10:00

I don't have a 755, but I do know that certain models of low profile cards will both fit without modification and work with the stock power supply.

I used a 960 SFF as a workstation and I own a GX620 SFF; the Sapphire 6570 works well in both. The Sapphire 7750 has similar size and power consumption, so by implication it will work in the SFF chassis.

1 Rookie

• 

33 Posts

oh okay yeah no doubt there but the issue with the 755 isn't so much a space issue. The 755 has a capacitor near the back edge of the pci vid slot. That is why the Vidcard are being installed with the fan off. My vidcard is right next to the thing.

1 Rookie

• 

33 Posts

lol you just want to be right huh? That may be there is no way really to know unless you buy the card and try it out. So you answer as well as the person with the 7770 is useful. But see he using the 7770 has a 500watt psu. You are now stating that the Dell Optiplex 755 SFF will work with that 7750 using the stock PSU? and if so what frame rates are u geting with games at certain resolutions?

February 22nd, 2013 11:00

ohh yeah i also have a quad processor performance is excellent, also have a 500 gb hard drive with a 1 terra external no i had to modify my hd 7770 to fit because of that stupid fan enclosure was a pain.

1 Message

November 18th, 2013 12:00

Ninjaunmatched:  How did you mount the Evercool fan to the back?  (I'm new at this).  

1 Rookie

• 

33 Posts

November 20th, 2013 12:00

The via card's fan I duck taped to the cover right above the vidcard when closed. Had to be careful opening it but it was my pc so no biggy. I have since sold it. For still a good price. I would say when you get one without the Common issues the model series has had it's a good pc...long lasting. 

No Events found!