Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 9th, 2012 10:00

Dell Optiplex 755 USFF upgrade to E8400?

Greetings!

I have a Dell Optiplex 755 USFF that I would like to upgrade. According to some techspecs that I found on the Dell site this particular flavor of 755 can support up to an E6850 (65nm). I would like to use the E8400 Wolfdale ( its' 45nm counterpart with the same clock and fsb, but more cache) since I believe it will also run cooler in the small confines of the USFF case. Although not officially supported on the techspec list I found, I see that on both the Dell Financial Services Site and the Dell Auction Site this same configuration is offered in multiple units with the E8400 installed. Can I take this as a confirmation that it would be OK to upgrade to the E8400 in the Opti 755 USFF? Thanks!

PS I already have the E8400 in another mobo so it is not a matter of which to get, only on whether I can use the E8400 in the 755 USFF. If I cannot use the E8400 then I will just keep the current cpu in place, but I'd really like to upgrade using the E8400 if it is possible. The mobo currently has the A11 Bios.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 21st, 2013 11:00

avibber56

This only indicates a change in core stepping, you can install either one, but SLB9J (E0) is the better processor, as it's the newer version

Bev.

14 Posts

January 21st, 2013 11:00

Ok great thank you!  I will go ahead and purchase it on Ebay and then let everyone know my findings so that it can be settled of whether or not the 45nm will work on the 755.

29 Posts

January 21st, 2013 13:00

Thanks both of you for the clarification, I was hesitant to use the latest bios but since you give the green light I will do that. Gotta love a new BIOS lol

29 Posts

January 21st, 2013 13:00

edit ... I mean thanks all of you (just saw shesagordies response) with all three of you agreeing then I see no reason not to upgrade bios and maybe give the E8400 a shot myself, when I have time to swap the cpus between my daughters 755 and my sons HP 7800. The 755 has tablet and photoshop/autodesk software on it that may be taxing the 2.66Ghz Xeon, so perhaps moving the E8400 over to it will give her better response when she's drawing with the tablet or using photoshop. I think the Xeon 2.66Ghz should be fine for minecraft, rollercoaster3tycoon, and youtube vids on my sons machine.

29 Posts

January 21st, 2013 14:00

Sorry avibber, I need to get some new thermal paste I ran out and haven't replaced it yet, and am currently working through some networking issues with my ISP (they blame my new router, the router manufacturer says its the ISPs modem/lines. Just too busy to deal with this at this time, but good luck with your project.

14 Posts

January 21st, 2013 14:00

If you could try the CPU swap out ASAP, possibly even today, I would certainly appreciate it before I would order the new CPU. I just want to see if it indeed works or not.

June 20th, 2014 15:00

E8400 works in Optiplex 755 with Foxcon MOBO number GM819 and 300 watt power supply. I have tried it with success. My bios was A12 and it both recognized it in the bios on startup and let me install operating system. Next thing I'll do is update bios to A21 and then plug in a Q9650 to really see some speed. In addition I'll try an HIS Radeon HD 5670 1 GB Gddr5 Video Card for direct  X11and some super gaming ability. I'll post the success or failure after that happens. Happy Computing. >>> SUCROMATIC

29 Posts

June 21st, 2014 00:00

I don't think the quads are supported at all on the USFF's bios, even if it does accept it you will most likely have heat issues. Be careful, and good luck!

June 21st, 2014 19:00

Success I have my 8400 Wolfdale with a gateway fan and shroud and heatsink. It stays cool to the touch with the stock gateway fan and shroud  plus another fan pulling out the opposite side(both fans are about 4 inch diam) but have no temp reading IE CPU fan and temperature not within range at bios startup. I've ordered a stock dell fan to connect to the motherboard (comes with correct shroud, heatsink, speaker, and temp sensor. My setup is a cluge, It is a Dell gm819 MOBO (from an Optiplex 755) in a krapped out gateway tower. I had to make fan lead connectors out of sewing pins to connect the two pin fan to the four pin dell power supply plug for what i think was the diskette. The dell atx motherboard is not really a mini-atx standard as the fan has 5 pins not 3 the input from the front power, reset, and usb, and sound ports are all together in ome single 39 pin connector instead of the standard 9 pin connectors and it was tough to get it working in the Gateway shell. Once I got it working I put in the wolf 8400 and a GeForce GT220 and then tried to install windows 7 Pro but it hung at 99%. Stupid windows will not check bios settings and go ahead and try to install in ahci mode and then crash. Thats when I remembered to set  the sata mode to ATA or IDE or Legacy or whatever is not ahci or UEFI(I think). Now it is running good. Once l get a real dell power supply it will stop the annoying post errors and then I'll work on figuring the pinout for the front panel and try to stick a dell front panel in the gateway and/or splice the front panel wires of the gateway to the dell idiot single connector on the mobo. I'm also waiting in an ati Radeon HD 5670 PCI-E to really speed this up. I have updated the bios from a12 to a22 but forget to do that until after I put the Wolf8400 in and the bios A12 saw it just fine. Will reply when I get it closer to a finished product. Regards>>>SUCROMATIC

June 21st, 2014 19:00

I read it will support up to a Q9650 but not a QX9650. Also be aware I got the Wolfdale  8400 versus the Brisbane 8400 to get the 2MG cache vs 1 MB (I think L2 or L1 I forget) the Brisbane is slighty faster but the wolf uses less power(I think). I can't find the link know. When I get ambitious I'll stick in an E8500 which i pulled from my sons computer and try that as well, and then on to the Q9650. Regards >>> SUCROMATIC

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

June 21st, 2014 22:00

I read it will support up to a Q9650 but not a QX9650. Also be aware I got the Wolfdale  8400 versus the Brisbane 8400 to get the 2MG cache vs 1 MB (I think L2 or L1 I forget) the Brisbane is slighty faster but the wolf uses less power(I think). I can't find the link know. When I get ambitious I'll stick in an E8500 which i pulled from my sons computer and try that as well, and then on to the Q9650. Regards >>> SUCROMATIC

SUCROMATIC

Brisbane processors are AMD, not Intel and require a different motherboard, BIOS and socket.

Bev.

1 Message

December 30th, 2014 12:00

Intel E8500 3ghz works just fine on A22 BIOS update!

Very nippy on Windows 7 with Kingston SSD in the single SATA port.

1 Message

March 10th, 2015 14:00

Hi

I have a 775  w/   Intel 82801IO ICH9DO  and I wanted to upgrade the cpu to a q9300  I am currently running an e7300  ,  I would attach an Everest report but can't seem to find a way to do it so here goes,, hey , that worked out ok?  I want to throw in a quad if I can or I'm going to have to replace this box,, it has been pretty good though , it's kinda slow for today .  ,, what can I do ,, oh btw I put the cpu (q9300 in the machine and it spit out a black screen prior to post and said non-compatible CPU  when everything I have read including your post and info from Intel says it should work ,, is it possible my ps is too weak??  thank you

jd

Version                                           EVEREST v5.50.2100
    Benchmark Module                                  2.5.292.0
    Homepage                                          http://www.lavalys.com/
    Report Type                                       Quick Report
    Computer                                          KAREN-PC
    Generator                                         jd
    Operating System                                  Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 6.1.7601
    Date                                              2015-03-10
    Time                                              13:06

--------[ Overclock ]---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CPU Properties:
      CPU Type                                          DualCore Intel Core 2 Duo E7300
      CPU Alias                                         Wolfdale-3M
      CPU Stepping                                      M0
      Engineering Sample                                No
      CPUID CPU Name                                    Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E7300 @ 2.66GHz
      CPUID Revision                                    00010676h
      CPU VID                                           1.1500 V

CPU Speed:
      CPU Clock                                         1596.0 MHz  (original: 2667 MHz)
      CPU Multiplier                                    6x
      CPU FSB                                           266.0 MHz  (original: 266 MHz)
      Memory Bus                                        399.0 MHz
      DRAM:FSB Ratio                                    12:8

CPU Cache:
      L1 Code Cache                                     32 KB per core
      L1 Data Cache                                     32 KB per core
      L2 Cache                                          3 MB  (On-Die, ECC, ASC, Full-Speed)

Motherboard Properties:
      Motherboard ID                                   
      Motherboard Name                                  Dell OptiPlex 755

Chipset Properties:
      Motherboard Chipset                               Intel Bearlake Q35
      Memory Timings                                    5-5-5-15  (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)
      Command Rate (CR)                                 2T
      DIMM1: G Skill F2-6400CL5-2GBPQ                   2 GB DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM  (5-5-5-15 @ 400 MHz)  (4-4-4-10 @ 266 MHz)
      DIMM3: G Skill F2-6400CL5-2GBPQ                   2 GB DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM  (5-5-5-15 @ 400 MHz)  (4-4-4-10 @ 266 MHz)

BIOS Properties:
      System BIOS Date                                  06/11/12
      Video BIOS Date                                   12/12/07
      DMI BIOS Version                                  A22

Graphics Processor Properties:
      Video Adapter                                     Intel Q35 Chipset - Integrated Graphics 0 [A-2]
      GPU Code Name                                     Bearlake-Q  (Integrated 8086 / 29B2, Rev 02)

No Events found!