Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 25th, 2016 09:00

Dell Optiplex 760 Desktop Black Screen w/cursor

My granddaughters boyfriend was given this pc.  He asked me to see if it worked.

When plugged in and hooked to monitor, It powers on and runs but all I get is a black screen w/cursor blinking.  

There is no Dell screen, No boot options displayed.

I removed the HDD and cd/dvd rom drive.  Still nothing but black screen w/cursor.

I'm baffled...

I'm good with pc's and have fixed many but still I'm little more than a novice.  This is a problem I've never run into before.

Any help would be appreciated.

June 25th, 2016 21:00

Hi Sassyklerk

Thanks for writing to us.

Please disconnect the power cable and hold down the power button for 10 sec and then try to power up again post connecting the power cable. observe for any changes.

Also remove the memory modules and try with one module at a time.

Does the machine load f2 or f12 menu. If it does load f2 menu checked if the HD is detected. You can try another HD or this HD on another machine if possible.

Does the caps or num lock respond when pressed?

do provide us the system tag#, email id and name via private message.

regards

June 26th, 2016 22:00

hi we are awaiting your response.

2 Posts

June 29th, 2016 13:00

Let me start by saying thank you for your reply.

As for trying the Function keys, I do not have a USB keyboard.

This pc does not have a ps/2 connector

I ordered one from ebay that should be here tomorrow.  (I hope!!)

I did remove the hdd and put it in my (homemade) pc

It booted up and I learned it had MS Windows 10 Enterprise os on it.

I wiped the the drive and put it back in.

That made no difference.

Still black screen w/blinking cursor

When I get the keyboard, I will try what you suggested and then post back so that

you will know if it worked or not.

Thank you for the help and your patience :-)

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

June 29th, 2016 17:00

Try replacing the motherboard battery before you go any further. If the battery died and BIOS settings got scrambled you could get a black screen with a blinking cursor in upper left corner. It's a 3-volt CR2032 lithium ion battery, ~$2 at discount stores. Check the manual for instructions to remove/replace the battery.

And it's not going to boot now that you wiped the hard drive, even if the new battery helps. You're going to have to boot from a bootable USB stick and do a clean install of Windows on that HDD...

Edited

June 29th, 2016 20:00

Hi nice to hear form you. Will wait for your response. Keeping in mind HD working on other machine, we can confirm HD is fine.

July 1st, 2016 22:00

Hi Awaiting your response.

No Events found!