Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 11th, 2014 11:00

Dell Optiplex 960 Desktop - Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q9650 upgrade possible?

Hi!

As far as i know the Optiplex Desktop Workstation was sold with Q9650 CPUs by Dell.

Mine has a Core 2 Duo inside and i bought an Q9650 in order to upgrade my System.

I flashed the newest BIOS but i still get a incompatible CPU detected screen when switching the PC on.

Any hints? Was this optiplex sold with different Mainboard revisions for Core duo or Quad?

regards,

Simon

::edit:: i originally wrote SFF which was wrong, i have the desktop version

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

Power Supply is too small in SFF this is not supported.

Intel® Core™2 Quad Processor Q9650
(12M Cache, 3.00 GHz, 1333 MHz FSB)

6 Posts

But why does the technical Guidebook list the Q9650 (page 11)?

I would assume they were sold in that config?!

TDP of Q9650 is 95W

TDP of E8600 is 65W

6 Posts

Oh sorry i was wrong, it is not the SFF! I have the Desktop Version.

(i thought USFF was the smallest one, sorry)

The technical Guidebook

(https://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/optix/en/desktop-optiplex-960-technical-guidebook-en.pdf)

Says the Q9650 was sold. (see page 11)

Regards,

Simon

6 Posts

Are there different Versions of the Q9650 that might explain this?

I checked the CPU in another non Dell PC and its working there.

Regards,

Simon

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

Power Supply is too small in SFF this is not supported.
At Microsoft, I used a 960 SFF factory-equipped with a Q9650. It's definitely supported.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

Power Supply Wattage
TOWER 305W
Desktop 255W
SFF         235W

Incompatible  CPU

Request Denied.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

The VRM's on the board are not removable. So it may be a board revision issue/Chip set Eratta.  The Bios will clearly state unsupported processor system halted. I'm not accountable for mistakes in manuals or part descriptions.

This wouldn't be the first Optiplex/Precision model that supports a CPU that ALL MODELS OF THE SERIES don't support.

You cannot wish a feature into a board or power supply. Just because the series and bios supports it does NOT mean that it supports all series all models ad infinitude forever.

There may even be specific S Spec that work and others that do not.

The Optiplex 520 is classic example of this where 130w pentium D processors are not supported but 90W versions of the same processor different S spec are supported.

6 Posts

April 11th, 2014 12:00

"The Bios will clearly state unsupported processor system halted"

Thats exactly the message i get...

I also bought a second replacement Mainboard on ebay where the seller statet it supports the Q9650. But it does not work either :-\

Too bad.... I would really love to use the CPU i have now laying around for months :(

244 Posts

December 11th, 2014 11:00

I believe I stumbled upon the root cause of the quad core issue.

I have a several 960 SFF and was getting the same message with a quad core. I also upgraded the RAM to 8 GB and re-installed the original processor and got this message:

"Quiet  Configuration Disabled due to incompatible memory configuration."

A quick search turned up this Dell article:

dell.com/support/troubleshooting/ch/de/chdhs1/KCS/KcsArticles/ArticleIframeView?docid=DSN_59C9DF02D7486641E040AE0AB7E15E8F&doclang=DE#Issue5

The last paragraph is what I feel relevant to the OP's question:

"The following error message will halt the computer and will not complete the POST process:

• If the user installs an unsupported CPU (i.e. a Quad core), the following message appears:
    Alert! Incompatible processor detected. System Halted.

To resolve this error reinstall the original CPU, or if the CPU was intentionally upgraded, purchase the correct Quiet Kit fan and heatsink from Dell Spare Parts."

6 Posts

December 11th, 2014 13:00

Hi!

Thank you very very much for posting this! I am quite certain this is my problem as is also got the message with "Quiet configuration disabled" some time ago.

Too bad i sold the Quadcore some time ago and can not try this.

Regards,

Simon

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

December 12th, 2014 12:00

If this is the case take a careful look at the CPU fan connector. Dell will put a jumper on them to allow a cpu or not.On the version that DOESN'T work with quad cores, the last pin of the header is grounded with a jumper.  Basically does nothing other than to identify it as a different fan.  The version that works with quad cores has the last pin empty and unconnected so not grounded.  Thats the ONLY difference.  When I put the new quad capable heatsink assembly into my original 960 SFF, it now works with quad cores. The mainboard part number between the 2 machines is the same. G261D.

http://www.dell.com/downloads/la/pdf/Optiplex960_Tech_Guidebook_new.pdf

23 Posts

March 5th, 2017 18:00

Revisiting this thread and topic - I have an Optiplex 960 MT and want to upgrade, also. This CPU will work with my 960?

www.amazon.com/.../ref=sr_1_6

What's with the little sticker that goes on the bottom?  Is there a how-to guide somewhere for this installation?

Thank you.

No Events found!