Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 9th, 2012 21:00

Dell Optiplex GX110

I am recently trying to "fix" the above mentioned computer.  It keeps coming up with an error code "Invalid Configuration Setup" and keeps asking for a password. There is no password that I am aware of.  What can I do ? Thank you !

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

October 9th, 2012 22:00

Hi eedonatti,

I‘d suggest that you remove the CMOS battery from the computer and then start the computer without the battery and then switch off the computer after 2 minutes. Replace the battery back into the slot before restarting it again. Please refer to the link below for the steps to remove and replace the battery.

http://dell.to/VYTN5x

Note: You will have to setup the date and time again on the computer after performing the above steps.

Please let me know if this helps.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

October 10th, 2012 12:00

DELL RAVI Ch your Link is invalid.

The documentation can be found here:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/opgx110/

There is a jumper for password reset:  

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/Systems/opgx110/ens/ug/inside.htm#system_board_jumpers

Table 1. System-Board Jumper Settings

Jumper Setting Description
PSWD jmpr_yes.gif (634 bytes)  (default)

jmpr_no.gif (390 bytes)

System password features are enabled.

System password features are disabled.

jmpr_yes.gif (634 bytes)  jumpered     jmpr_no.gif (390 bytes)  un jumpered

The password settings are explained here:

You can reset the NVRAM using this procedure as documented.

System Board Jumpers

Figure 10 shows the layout of jumpers on the system board. Table 1 lists the system board jumpers and their settings.

Figure 10. System Board Jumpers

inside08.gif (10258 bytes)

Disabling a Forgotten Password

If you forget your system or setup password, you cannot operate your system or change settings in System Setup until you remove the computer cover, change the password jumper setting to disable the passwords, and erase the existing passwords.

To disable a forgotten password, perform the following steps. 

CAUTION: Before you remove the computer cover, see "Safety First—For You and Your Computer."
  1. Remove the computer cover according to the instructions in "Removing and Replacing the Computer Cover<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>."
  1. Remove the jumper plug from the PSWD jumper to disable the password feature.

Refer to "System Board Jumpers" for jumper information and to Figure 10 in "Inside Your Computer" for the location of the password jumper (labeled "PSWD") on the system board.

1. Replace the computer cover.

2. Reconnect your computer and peripherals to an electrical outlet, and then turn them on.

Booting your system with the PSWD jumper plug removed erases the existing password(s).

1. Enter System Setup, and verify that the password is disabled. Proceed to step 6 if you want to assign a new password.
 NOTE: Before you assign a new system and/or setup password, you must replace the PSWD jumper plug.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

October 10th, 2012 12:00

There is a motherboard password that would need to be cleared by Jumper.

4.4K Posts

May 18th, 2013 01:00

This thread has been locked due to inactivity.For assistance,with same issue or a different issue,please click New Post on the top right to start a New Thread.        

No Events found!