Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 28th, 2011 05:00

Dell Studio XPS 435 - Power on problems

Dell Studio XPS 435 - Power on problems

The symptoms;

Pressing the power button results in a quick, amber flash of the power button light.  Sometimes this is followed by a short pause and another flash.  Then nothing.

A coinciding 'jog' of all fans accompanies the amber power button light flash.  It's like they get a split second of power and then it stops.

The amber light on the motherboard is lit when the power supply is turned in.

This leads me to believe that the motherboard is getting power and pressing the power button suppllies a momentary supply of power when it is pressed, but for some reason the system immediately shuts down.  Then the system tries a second time after a short pause than gives up.

I confirmed the power supply was working by removing it, shorting the green and black wires and measuring the 3.3v, 5 v, and 12 v rails with a DVM.

I was able to get the computer started by shorting together the green and black wires on the main power plug from the power supply to the mother board.  These are the two wires that are shorted when troubleshooting a bad pc power supply.  To summarize:

1)  Shorted green and black power supply wires

2)  Plugged in computer - Fans started up but made a racket

3)  Pressed the power button twice - button light went white, racket stopped, computer started up normally

4)  Removed short between green and black wires

5)  Tested to see if it would start on its own now.  It would not.  Repeating this process will start up my computer.

Any ideas, thoughts or suggestions?

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

August 28th, 2011 06:00

Based on your post I would suspect a motherboard problem.

5 Posts

August 30th, 2011 09:00

I have the exact same issue!  any further luck with diagnosis/repair?

1 Message

September 3rd, 2011 10:00

I have the same issue as well.

I have jammed a paper clip into the adapter from the power supply to the mother board and now my computer is working.  This is obviously not a good long term solution.  What should I be doing to get this repaired long term?

Is this a problem on the mother board?

45 Posts

September 4th, 2011 21:00

Believe your mother board is expiring or you have a problem in the front panel wiring. I have a XPS 435T-9000. It is little different. Noticed not quite this severe, problem with ours just before we changed the case. This was a measure to cool better. The power supply was also changed at the same time to a larger model. Been over a year, I had forgotten this problem existed. Never saw it again after the upgrade. Be carefull with the front panel wiring, mine was all one color, and not traceable no matter how much the case was torn down. Check the front panel wiring to be sure it is all connected. From the left top on the board, shorting pins 3 and 4 (PWR & GND) should start the computer. I would disconnect the 2 leads to the switch before shorting the pins. If it starts you know it is the switch. Hope it helps

By the way to all, there is a new site that handles NOS hardware for Dell computers. This would be Red Planet Trading.

redplanettrading.com

No Events found!