Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 17th, 2009 20:00

Dell Studio XPS 435MT beep codes?

I'm getting some beep codes during POST for my Dell 435MT.  Is there a list of the codes anywhere?  Can't seem to find them.

Thanks!

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

August 17th, 2009 21:00

bsavery 

It would seem that Dell has not published a list of the XPS 435MT 'Beep' codes and are not available

Dell's XPS 435MT Troubleshooting Guide is HERE <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Bev.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

August 18th, 2009 06:00

1 beep BIOS ROM checksum in progress or System board failure
2 beep No memory modules detected
3 beep System board failure. Power LED is blinking amber
Time-Of-Day Clock test failure
Gate A20 failure
Super I/O chip failure
Keyboard controller test failure
4 beep Memory failure
5 beep CMOS battery failure
6 beep Video card failure

2 Posts

August 19th, 2009 16:00

1 beep BIOS ROM checksum in progress or System board failure
2 beep No memory modules detected
3 beep System board failure. Power LED is blinking amber
Time-Of-Day Clock test failure
Gate A20 failure
Super I/O chip failure
Keyboard controller test failure
4 beep Memory failure
5 beep CMOS battery failure
6 beep Video card failure

Thats useful, thanks!  What about 5 followed by 2?

64 Posts

October 6th, 2011 09:00

System hangs-up in sleep mode...must reboot...at post get 2 beeps...must power down and unplug unit...wait a minute or two...plug back in and boot normally to get the system up and running. Why is this happening?

64 Posts

October 6th, 2011 09:00

System hangs-up in sleep mode...must reboot...at post get 2 beeps...must power down and unplug unit...wait a minute or two...plug back in and boot normally to get the system up and running. Why is this happening?

Just clean installed WIN7 Pro on new drive.

64 Posts

October 19th, 2011 09:00

Believe with the help of Microsoft I have resolved this issue by applying the suggested registry changes found in>>support.microsoft.com/.../266283 KB and its assoicated KBs regarding USB keyboard and mouse.

After making the suggested changes to the registry and disabling Quick Startup in BIOS rebooted...beeps went away and sleep mode is now working. Changed the BIOS back to Quick Startup...at least for now things look and acting as they should.

64 Posts

October 21st, 2011 00:00

I was a little premature about claiming the issue was fixed. This morning I got up and the same thing happened. Although the system light was not blinking (it was blinking when I went to bed), it was solid. Which indicates that it was no longer in sleep mode (disc and fans were running, monitor was blank power off). I tried activating the system with mouse movement and with keyboard, as well as with the power button…nothing…had to power down, unplug... wait few minutes and reboot.

Still getting the 2 beeps at post...unplugging and waiting a few minutes...plugging in and rebooting...get me to the desktop and back to work. This sleep mode issue has me totally stumped...I have gone back over everything, to make sure I didn’t miss something.

Microsoft spent a couple of hours remotely changing this and that; but still the sleep mode issue was still there. Microsoft Support did call me back today, the only thing they said was that it has to be a hardware or driver problem causing this issue. Suggesting that I contact Dell for help!

I am disappointed in Dell. This is the fifth Dell computer I have purchased, going back to the Pentium 1 days. This is the first one to really cause this much trouble. I have noticed over the years Dell quality in both product and support has declined. This maybe the last Dell computer a will ever purchase. I will try making contact with Dell again…tomorrow…hopefully at least they can tell me why I am getting the 2 beeps at post and what they mean.

64 Posts

October 26th, 2011 09:00

If 2 beeps means no memory modules detected; yet the BIOS says that all memory modules are detected and system info indicated all modules are present and OK. Must unplug the computer wait a few minutes and plug it back in and reboot, the 2 beeps are gone. Why is this happening and how do I fix it?

Again, the system will not come out of sleep mode; must power down, unplug, wait, plug in and reboot. I have turned-off sleep mode and power down when I leave the computer for extended periods. The non-functioning sleep mode forces me to run my nightly backups during normal operations, which is a pain in the neck.

Dell was suppose to call me, I am still waiting for that call. My guess is that Dell does not care to address this issue, which I find very distrubing. I just thought that just maybe Dell would want to find out the problems people are having with their DELL SYSTEMS; so Dell can improve upon their support...which by the way...does need improvement."

The session ID for this incident is 46955105.

22 Posts

November 1st, 2011 02:00

Did they ever call you? Any new info on this?

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

November 1st, 2011 06:00

Bringing up an old thread for a different problem (may seem same to you) really is not the way to go.  A new thread would be the more appropriate.  Many will not look at the thread because it is old.  Actually we (some of the "Rock Stars") have asked Dell to lock older threads so something like this wouldn't happen. 

There is an unresolved issues contact that you should use since you have an incident number.  Click Me

64 Posts

November 2nd, 2011 09:00

NO!..I have tried Dell again; however they do not want to support their product since it is out of warrantee. I tell them that this issue should be addressed by Dell and a fix for it made available. I am definitely not pleased with Dell, after ten years I am looking for a new vendor that supports the products they sell.

64 Posts

November 2nd, 2011 09:00

I did CLICK ME...waiting for a response. Old thread...different problem...these are all related...if I can find a resolution to one it just might fix the others.

64 Posts

November 10th, 2011 14:00

Did they ever call you? Any new info on this?

NO...only emails requesting I do the same things I have already done (some of them three times). Dell says they have tried contacting me, yet I have not received any calls or voice mails from them...only e-mails. I respond to their e-mails, the latest wants me to connect a different monitor (which  I do not have); they also suggest that I swap out the PSU (which I do not have). Maybe someday someone will come up with the answer.

November 23rd, 2011 20:00

We are having the exact same problem.  Locks up in sleep mode so we reboot and then 2 beeps on post.  We must then power off and back on to get it to work.  Did you ever find a resolution to the problem?

22 Posts

November 24th, 2011 08:00

Yes, getting a replacement power supply worked for me.

No Events found!