Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 25th, 2010 20:00

Dell Studio XPS 9100: APC UPS backups a problem?

I'm considering replacing my outdated 8400 with the Studio XPS 9100. I bought my wife the 7100 in September; so far so good. I always use APC UPS units with my desktops and I've seen several posts that refer to shutdowns and other problems related to using any sine-wave-based UPS unit (which includes all APC units, as far as I know). Is this still a problem with the 9100?

When I questioned a Dell salesman about this he didn't reply directly but instead just sent me a link to the Dell page where such units are sold. Just the fact that Dell sells them does not tell me that they're OK with the 9100.

I do no gaming, but a lot of photo and video editing; also wondering whether this machine is appropriate for that.

Thanks for any info anyone can provide.

dg

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

October 26th, 2010 11:00

That model is not a "pure sine wave" output model.  The listing states "Stepped approximation to a sinewave".

However, that is not all bad, depending on the particular Active PFC power supply and the UPS switching time.  I have an Active PFC power supply and I'm using an older model Dell (actually APC) 1000 watt UPS and I am not having any problems when it switches to battery.   

Suggest, when you get the new PC, connect it to that UPS and then simulate a power failure (disconnect the UPS from the AC power receptacle) and see if the PC keeps working or if it powers itself off.  If it continues to work then that model will work with your new PC.

If not, you will need a "pure sine wave" type UPS.  HERE is an example of a pure sine wave type UPS

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

December 24th, 2012 04:00

Hi dg,

I'm looking at the CyberPower site. I think this UPS can support any PSU but it is designed to provide support for active PSUs that conventional battery backups cannot.

9 Posts

October 26th, 2010 08:00

You won't have any problems using a SINEWAVE outputting UPS. The problems arise when you use non sine wave UPSs like the CS's or RS's. Stick to the Smart-UPSs and you'll have solid protection.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

October 26th, 2010 09:00

If I was running a server or had business data on my PC, then I would consider using a UPS. I have four desktops running games, so all I use are surge protectors.

675 Posts

October 26th, 2010 10:00

HammerJoe: Thanks for the reply. I have one of these on my Dell Studio 7100:

http://www.apcc.com/products/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=BR1300G

and would like to use the same one. It says it's sinewave, so I think it's OK. Would you agree?

ChrisM: Going without a UPS is something I would never even consider.

DG

675 Posts

October 26th, 2010 12:00

Thanks so much, Fireberd. Once again you have given me great information. I'll check out that UPS you recommended . And I can actually use my existing APC to test the system if/when I get it. Cheers.--dg

675 Posts

December 22nd, 2012 09:00

I held off on replacing my UPS unit, but now I really have to address it: The old one isn't recognizing a new battery as even being connected.

Keeping Fireberd's advice in mind, I'm leaning toward this one:

CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD PFC Compatible 1500VA 900W Pure Sine Wave Tower UPS

www.amazon.com/.../ref=gno_cart_title_2

The details say that it is for PCs with active power supplies: Would anyone know whether the Studio XPS 9100 has an active PSU?

It's about $100 less than the one fireberd suggested, but the same brand.

dg

675 Posts

December 24th, 2012 05:00

Hello Osprey,

Thanks so much for looking into this. I confirmed when I got the 9100 that not all UPS units would work with it; that's why I'm being really careful.

I'm probably going to pull the trigger on this unit because my old one isn't functioning as a UPS anymore.

What I'm unsure of is whether the 9100 has an active PSU: Can't find that anywhere on the Dell site and support just referred me to their page where they sell these units at a markup.

Happy Holidays.

dg

No Events found!