Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 3rd, 2014 12:00

Dell T7400 cpu upgrade question

Found a good deal on some oem xeon 3.0 & 3.1ghz for my brothers Dell T7400 with two 2.6Ghz cpu's. (a total of 8 physical cores) My question is, since this is not a kit upgrade, (and the manual says simply to reuse the orginal heatsinks....since after market heat sinks are not possible) Will I need to upgrade the heatsinks? Or are the originals large enough to handle the 3.0 or 3.1Ghz speeds?

4 Operator

• 

783 Posts

December 3rd, 2014 16:00

Greetings Edt71,

Thank you for your question.

There are 2 heatsinks for the Precision T7400.

FN654 - Heatsink for 150W CPUs

FD841 - Heatsink for CPUs below 150W

I assume you're looking at buying either Intel X5450 or X5460. These processors are 120W processors. We can therefor assume that your current FD841 heatsink will be adequate if X5450 or X5460 are the 2 processors you're considering.

Please post back with any further questions or feedback on this topic.

2 Posts

December 4th, 2014 01:00

Hmmm, somewhat confused now that you mentioned the names of those processors. Have been looking thru "pricewatch.com" and noticed two different prices. One on the X5450. And another price on the one that says E5450 . The first one is listed for 155$. However, the E5450 version is listed for 60$. Which one is usuable by this computer? And just exactly what is the differences?

I went to "Wikipedia" and checked the Xeon list and I notice there are some differences. The X5450 has some spec code going, SLBBE/SLASB.

While the other cheaper version E5450 has some spec code going SLBBM/SLANQ.

Again, just to make sure, which processor works on this computer? And what are the differences? (Dont want to spend money on buying the wrong part)

I did notice on the Wikipedia list that the X versions have higher wattage (120watts) compared to the E version which shows (80watts)

Whats even weirder is that the Wikipedia list shows the retail price when released. And that the X version was cheaper than the E version. Now it seems to be the other way around on pricewatch.com. (Im assuming this is due the actual supply thus lowering price)

4 Operator

• 

783 Posts

December 4th, 2014 10:00

Hi Edt71,

I found the below link for the differences between each letter:

www.intel.com/.../processor-numbers-data-center.html

The Precision T7400 supports the below processors. 

No Events found!