Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 4th, 2015 14:00

Dell XPS 410 Actual Memory Capacity

Hello there,

I have an aging XPS 410 in dire need of an overhaul.  It's a great machine that I've maintained pretty well for the past 9 years.  Currently, it has 3 gb of RAM installed (1gb x2, and 512mb x2), but I wanted to start with upgrading the RAM.

The motherboard was replaced 2 years ago, and I was told by the person who serviced it that it would be worth it to just upgrade components if I have the skill.  When it was sold back in 2005/2006 it said it had a max RAM capacity of 4GB, but I've seen numerous posts (that are a few years old, btw) that it could hold 8GB (4x2gb RAM modules.  I was wondering if it can be upgraded to 12GB (4x2 + 2x2) or even 16 GB for that matter (4x4 GB).  I guess it comes down to, can you install a 4GB RAM module? or is 2GB as high as it goes?

Planning on doing a small RAM upgrade, adding SSD drive(s), another small RAM upgrade, replacing the processors, and maybe eventually adding a SATA interface card if it would be beneficial.  By the end, the only thing original to this unit would be the Card Reader, network card, and the case!  Thank you for any advice you can give me.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

January 4th, 2015 14:00

You cannot go to 16 gig.  8 gig is possible but only with compatible non buffered non ecc non registered LOW Density Ram.   DDR2 is dying or gone from the retail channel.  If you get a used Precision T3500 which uses DDR3 you will be more likely to keep it for a few years.  The max ram is the same as precision 380 or XPS400.  You have 4 slots so 4x 2 gig is possible as well as 4x 1 gig.  You may find a Precision T3400 with 4 gigs or more of ram is the same as the cost of buying 8 gigs of ram alone.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=dell+t3400

January 7th, 2015 16:00

Thanks for the recommendations!  Sadly, i'm not in the market for a new system... just trying to extend the life of this one for as long as I can.  But even if I can expand to 8GB, that's way better than what I am at now.  I actually did find a good deal, so i'm going to go with that.  Thanks for your help!

No Events found!