Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 1st, 2008 19:00

Dell XPS 420 X-Fi Screech

The all new Dell XPS 420 with screeching parts :smileyhappy:

First the PSU now the soundcard. After using the computer for a while the X-Fi will screech and stop outputting sound for a short while. After that it will direct a lot of sound to my subwoofer which means it booms literally! To fix this you have to exit all applications using the audio which means most! Go the control panel and select quad speakers before re-selecting 5.1.

Clearly this is a fault, not being able to install the latest drivers from creative.com don't help that much either. Hopefully Chris or one of the other reps will be able to help out on this one.

So far Dell UK have ignored all attempts to communicate with me and the telephone technical support is erm rubbish...

Message Edited by paulbeattie87 on 06-01-2008 09:53 PM

1.7K Posts

June 1st, 2008 22:00

i still have screech on my XPS 720 , the latest Creative vista drivers are 2.15.0006 they insatalled on my vista system with a Dell Branded XFI xtreme gamer. if u got screech there seems no solution  

241 Posts

June 1st, 2008 23:00

Hmm... Going to have to speak to Dell UK about this. Does anybody know an easy way? To say they have taken my money and then run away into hiding is an understatement. Tried calling their UK HQ and got no response at all, calling their customer service number you get somebody who really doesn't understand what you want and either puts you to sales or the wrong technical department.

Had a look on the Creative forums to see that Creative have been fobbing their customers off since 2006 with lame excuses blaming various other companies and not really taking ownership. Not entirely sure why Dell have sold me this computer which clearly has a faulty soundcard

Off to e-mail their support department and wait for the reply. Last time it was 3 weeks before they finally got back to me.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

June 2nd, 2008 19:00

All,

* We sell three X-Fi sound cards:
Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic (D)
Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic (D) (Vista only)
Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer (D)
* Have you tried all of the available Dell drivers, even the XtremeGamer drivers?

XtremeMusic drivers
3-05-07, Vista, Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic (D), v.RC2, WebA00
6-15-06, XP, Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic (D), v.RC2.1, Web A02
6-01-06, XP, Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic (D), v.RC3.0, Web A03
10-14-05, XP, Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic (D), v.RC1, Web A00

XtremeGamer drivers

10-16-07, Multi OS, Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer, v.RC2.0, WebA01-00  <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

6-27-07, Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer, v.RC1.0, A00-00

* Has the X-Fi been replaced by us?

5 Posts

June 2nd, 2008 19:00

I too have the same problem ( LOUD screeching at various intervals)!!! Tech support has been ZERO help...lots of talk, no action...system also freezes up...and I get tons of WMI errors...Dell Tech support has tied into my machine several times, and the last time, the tech told me that it was caused by running non compatiable software...Huh??? All my software is up to date, licensed, and PC versions...such as CS3, PainterX, etc...I want to talk to someone who speaks english, not Pakistani, and I want my machine FIXED!! I have a four year warranty, and the system is about to be boxed up and sent to the largest network or magazine willing to take on this issue...I am a published writer, and I have taken on somewhat large companies before (Xyron for instance) and Dell is about to be next in line if they do not step up to the plate and get me a system that works...My first call to tech support was within the first week of owning this system. Do I think the bad publicity will help??? No, but it might make me feel better and it might spare someone else the grief that I have been going through if it sways them to buy something other than a DELL!! Sadly, I have been a Dell fan, and this is our fourth Dell we have purchased through the years.
Message Edited by vangink14 on 06-02-2008 03:16 PM

5 Posts

June 2nd, 2008 22:00

No one has replaced my sound card...the one agent who tied into my system (several have) supposedly updated all drivers...considering that this has happened from almost day one, I am getting tired of this...Sadly, I have next day business support, and when I asked why they could not send someone to fix the machine, I was told if they couldn't figure out what was wrong, how could they send someone to fix it, I kid you not...well, lets see...it screeches, it freezes, it acts erratic, umm, aren't those things that are 'wrong'?? The last support person, the one who told me to try running 'compatible' software, wanted to just delete my hard drive...what that has to do with a sound card screeching is beyond me...and when I said no, they actually cancelled the conversation we were having, just disconnected...and oh yeah...the one time I tried calling in, I was told my machine does not exist, and it did arrive without the service tag attached, but yet, Dell Financial sure wants their money each and every month...I wonder what they would say if I told them that Dell told me my machine does not exist!! I couldn't make this stuff up if I tried...just give me an AMerican to talk to...someone that understands 'screeching' that knows my machine exists, that can get my system to make it through a single session without freezing up and no more WMI errors!!!

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

June 3rd, 2008 14:00

vangink14,

I have next day business support, and when I asked why they could not send someone to fix the machine, I was told if they couldn't figure out what was wrong, how could they send someone to fix it, I kid you not...well, lets see...it screeches, it freezes, it acts erratic, umm, aren't those things that are 'wrong'??
* Simply put, we do not send a technician out to troubleshoot. They only go out to replace a defective part. That is what the warranty covers. You and I (or support) have to troubleshoot to ascertain the defective part.

* Reinstall this driver and restart the PC

* The WMI errors have nothing to do with the sound card. That is two different issues. What are the specific WMI errors?

* List all of the software you added to the PC.

5 Posts

June 3rd, 2008 23:00

In response to you stating that it is up to 'us' to troubleshoot...I have called several times...if I cannot get a tech to figure out what is wrong, that means I suffer??? Half the problem there is the language barrier and the tech's favorite answer of lets erase and start over...um, NO!

As for the WMI errors... 

WMI provider host stopped working...

As for software, what difference does that make?? The problems with this PC have been from almost day one...so software has been loaded, but the problems preceded them...early programs would be CS3 and CorelPainterX...both are up to date and have been approved to work with Vista...

You also skipped over the aprt that this sytem came without a service tag attached...somehow, I find that unsettling...and the fact that tech support tried to tell me the system did not exist...what gives with that?? Seriously, do you think Dell Financial would go for it if I told them I obviosuly don't have to pay for something Dell says I do not ahve...

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

June 4th, 2008 12:00

vangink14,

Please provide me with the following information in a private message so I can check the service tag status -
Name:
Shipping address:
Phone:
Order number:

241 Posts

June 4th, 2008 22:00

Chris, got a repacement card coming out to me hopefully tomorrow. E-mail support seems to be completely different from telephone when it comes to quality.

9 Posts

June 8th, 2008 14:00

I am having this issue as well.  I had it from the time the system was new.  I have been trying to get my XPS 420 with X-Fi XtremeMusic fixed for several months now.  Dell techs have taken over the machine several times, updated BIOS, drivers, killed all startups, and even sent a replacement card.  With my original card I had sporadic crackle and hum and the sound would cut out for a short while.  With the replacement card I get the sudden loud shrieking for a few seconds.  It seems that the replacement is worse than the original (I wish I hadn't sent back the original, but they give you 15 days to swap them).  Who knew?

Anyway, short of taking the hit and figuing that the Dell parts are simply junk- buying a retail card - what can I do?  Should I do as Chris_M seems to suggest and try out 5 sets of drivers until I either fix it or mess up my system so badly that I have to reformat?  I have an XtremeMusic and I run Vista.  How do I know which card I have?

241 Posts

June 8th, 2008 15:00

linthorn my X-Fi does exactly the same as your new one with the loud screech/shrieking and then stops working for a few seconds before it needs to be reconfigured.

Spoke to Dell and got a replacement card but not installed it yet.

Wouldn't say Dell are junk though as its a fault with all Creative hardware, that said the problem is with Dell whether they like it or not. The best Dell can do is either admit the fault and pull the card which would hurt Creative financially or start refunding users who have problems cards. Thats if they cant find a solution.

5 Posts

June 8th, 2008 19:00

Well, I sent him my info, and I got nothing, NADA!! He can't even bother to send me a reply all these days later!! Frustrrated to say the least!

241 Posts

June 8th, 2008 21:00

Chris is usually very good when it comes to support requests. Maybe he is just off for the weekend and such. He has helped me out before even with me being in the UK.

241 Posts

June 9th, 2008 19:00

Just another quick update guys, got my replacement card and fitted it earlier....

Still the same! Screech then no audio for a couple of minutes before the following speaking mapping takes place:

Front Left - Outputs Front Centre
Front Centre - Outputs Rear Left
Front Right - No output

Rear Right - Outputs Front Right
Rear Centre - No Output
Rear Left - Outputs Front Left
Subwoofer - Outputs Rear Left.

I have Creative Inspire 6700 speakers just in case your thinking where are the extra speakers coming from.

Will keep you posted on Dell's next move, not really sure where they can take it now its been replaced :(

Message Edited by paulbeattie87 on 06-09-2008 09:30 PM

155 Posts

June 9th, 2008 23:00

Take a look at this thread. I linked to the last page.

No Events found!