Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 16th, 2012 14:00

Dell XPS 420: the next step part 2

Following on from this thread I have a different question relating to the PSU now.

Original thread - http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19450446.aspx

Having purchased all of Tankus' suggestions (5.25 bay front intake still to arrive), I have run into a problem. As far as I can tell there are no fan power points on the motherboard.

To power the 2 exhaust fans (their awesome, pumping out some serious heat) and one of the two fans at the rear I've installed, I've plugged their power sockets together and then into the only P10 socket I can see from the PSU. Essentially forming a 3 into 1 stack.

Problem I have is I have run out of power connections. There are no (that I can see and have read in the manual) pins on the mobo that can power the remaining fan and I'm certain the front intake will require a P10 connection which may or may not fit into the 3 into 1 stack I already have. I'm not even sure whether your a) supposed to do what I've done......and b) can safely have (if the connector on the front intake is like the exhaust fans i.e. female to male pins) 4 connectors stacked up and plugged into 1 P10 PSU connection.

If you can then great, I can run my front intake.....leaving just the problem of the unpowered single fan at the rear. If not though, I presume I''ll need a new PSU that has more than 1 P10 connector and that has a connector for the fan at the rear that has no power?

Also the fans I bought are only male connections I think (wires going into one end with connectors at the opposite side so can only form the end of the stack)

Does anyone have any suggestions?

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

October 16th, 2012 22:00

Hi mcbgun,

I’d advice that you wait for the ‘5.25 bay front intake’ to arrive to determine if it is using p10 connector.

As the power supply does not have an extra P10 connector, you can go ahead and purchase P10 adapter cable or you may have to change the power supply unit, which has more P10 connectors.

Please reply for any queries.

4 Operator

• 

4.4K Posts

May 17th, 2013 01:00

This thread has been locked due to inactivity.For assistance,with same issue or a different issue,please click New Post on the top right to start a New Thread.                      

No Events found!