Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 16th, 2013 16:00

Dell XPS 8100 - SATA 3

I realized that the limitation of the 8100 mobo is the Intel H57 chipset which allows max SATA 2 - 3g.  Can an XPS Studio 8100 be upgraded to an XPS 8300 mobo?  

My intention is to take advantage of SSD boot/system drive SATA 3 performance.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

April 16th, 2013 17:00

It's cheaper to install a SATA III card, and not much more to install a third-party motherboard like an ASRock H77 with native SATA 6G/bps (and USB 3.0) support. In the latter case, if you reactivated your Windows install with the COA product key, you'd be in violation of the OEM license terms, as technically you're required to buy a new Windows license.

February 1st, 2014 08:00

Valleylo - Great questions... What did you end up doing? I am interested in a similar upgrade, achieving SATA iii speeds in the system, including SSD for OS drive. But if AHCI is not supported by mb/bios, may not be worth the investment?

Thanks!

7 Posts

April 16th, 2013 18:00

Can I boot the system from the SATA III card?  - Is the limitation of the Intel H57 chip which only supports up to 3g still be a limitation ? What slot can I put the SATA III card & which one do you suggest?  Thanks

1 Message

September 25th, 2013 19:00

I installed a SAMSUNG 840 SSD with no problems without using a SATA III card . I just moved the SATA cables around. I think SATA0 was the SSD, SATA1 is the DVD/BLU RAY, SATA2,SATA3 is the RAID1 HDD disks. I had to change the boot priority to the SSD, then the RAID.  I did a clean install of Windows 8 so I unplugged the HDD disks before doing the install.

Now program SAMSUNG MAGICIAN indicates that AHCI is not there but the BIOS only has ATA/RAID

I don't get full SATA 6G/bps but my boot me went from 28 seconds to 8.  

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

February 1st, 2014 09:00

SATA 2.0 or 3.0, an SSD will bring a huge boost in performance.

No Events found!