Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 6th, 2012 07:00

Dell XPS 8300 - 2 Top USB Ports Not Working or Disabled

Hello: I just purchaed a Dell XPS 8300 Desktop and received the computer on 2/3/12.

The top of the case has a media tray which includes 2 usb ports, a headphone and microphone jack (referred to as the "Top I/O Panel"). The two usb ports in the Top I/O panel are not working and are disabled. For example, I plugged a mouse in both USB ports and it didn't work. I also plugged in multiple USB flash drives and they are not mounting or being recognized. I am not trying devices which require charging although I understand the top USB ports may be able to charge portable devices. 

How can this be diagnosed and fixed? I would like both USB ports to work because they are in a convenient location on the case. 

Thank you for your assistance. 

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

February 6th, 2012 07:00

Your setup manual says these usb ports on the top of the tower are only for charging devices while the computer is sleeping or is off. These usb ports are disabled by default. To turn them on for charging devices, enter the bios and enable them. If you are not using them for charging, it's probably best to keep them turned off. Review your Setup Guide online.

2 Posts

February 6th, 2012 09:00

Thank you for the advice. I reviewed the set up manual before posting. The manual states that USB "Port 6" (top port 1) is enable by default and that USB Port 7 (top port 2) "power share feature" is disabled by default. It is unclear if both ports are disabled or only the powershare charging feature. I don't need the usb ports to charge, just for flash drives.

4 Posts

also checked the drivers and they are up to date

2 Posts

I ran the Dell diagnostic utility and everything checked ok. All the other USB ports appear to be working on the back and front of the pc. How can I check the drivers for the two top USB ports specifically? I know how to access the device manager utility. The drivers appear to be up to date on last check.

4 Posts

I am having the same problem

4 Posts

only the power share feature is disabled by default. my parents got the same computer as me and the top ports both work without adjusting anything in the bios.

1 Message

February 6th, 2012 10:00

I get the same problem, although only USB port 7 doest work, 6 does. I have enabled the power in the BIOS, but this port is dead both when the PC is on and off. It doesntcharge or  recognise anything plugged in, so can only assume the port is faulty! Will be ringing Dell Support I think!

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

February 6th, 2012 10:00

Contact Dell Support since the non power share usb should work. Test your flash drives and other devices except the mouse on all the usb ports so you can report the results. You should always use only the rear ports for mouse and keyboard, not the top panel or front ports.

4 Posts

February 8th, 2012 07:00

mary g! they both should work, and do work by default on an identicle computer my parents own, by default withou having to turn anything on in the bios, as stated before that is only for the power share option. stop confusing people and wasting thier time, only offer advice if you know what your talking about!

opened up my computer and found that they were not connected. fallowed the cord, and plugged the white end onto a white plug on the same piece the other usb cables were connected, now port 7 works but not 6..... better than nothing.

remember to unplug everything before opening your computer and press the power button to empty the battery stored power and ground the computer.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

February 9th, 2012 11:00

Some versions have a USB 3 card installed.

1 Message

April 24th, 2012 21:00

I had the same problem and plugging in the white end into the motherboard worked for me too, although both ports now work. Thanks.

I also have the USB 3.0 card.

33 Posts

June 21st, 2012 16:00

What has this 'answer" got to do with the question?

I wish people would stop just posting any old rubbish to increase their post-count.

33 Posts

June 22nd, 2012 01:00

I'm referring to the pointless post about USB 3.0 above. I mean why do people do this? It makes these forums a complete waste of time and in fact you can't trust anything you read as also evidenced by maryg's misleading post earlier.
No Events found!