Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 25th, 2013 18:00

Dell XPS Studio 8100 will not power on

My Dell XPS Studio 8100 does not power on, no fans run, etc. Upon the last use, I shut down normally and it never started again.

The amber light on the mother board is on and the green light on the back is on. I've had the power supply tested and that is working perfectly. I've taken out my C drive and that is not a problem as I put it in another computer and it is working. A friend suggested it could be the power button module. It does not light up at all and if I'm right, I believe it should light up as well?

Before I purchase a new power button module, I'd like to know if there is anyway I can test this (it's a proprietary part, and isn't the typical cable where you can test it with a screwdriver or a multimeter) or is the fact that it doesn't light up enough to assume that's the problem?

Thanks!

4 Operator

• 

1.5K Posts

September 25th, 2013 21:00

Hi badbonkers.

Try releasing the residual charge from the system. Here are the steps:

• Disconnect any external peripherals (flash drives, printers, external hard drives) from the computer including the power supply.
  • Press and hold the power button for 20 seconds.
  • Reconnect the power supply. Try to restart the computer and check.

If the issue still persist, it is most likely the motherboard failure or the Power Button Module failure as there is no light coming on it. Hardware replacement may be required, first part I would suggest to be replaced is the Power Button Module and if the still there is no power, you will need to replace the motherboard.

Also, I would request you to remove and reseat the Power Button Module once and check functionality. Please refer to the Service Manual of this system for instructions on assembling and dis-assembling the hardware components. Follow the 'Safety Guidelines' listed on the manual to help protect your computer from potential damage and to help ensure your own personal safety.

Hope this helps. Please reply if you have any questions.

6 Posts

September 27th, 2013 05:00

Hello,

Thank you for your reply! I've already performed all of those steps and still nothing. I will try to replace the power button module next....

4 Operator

• 

1.5K Posts

September 27th, 2013 06:00

Hi badbonkers,

Thank you for your response. Keep me updated with the results.

No Events found!