Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 19th, 2012 07:00

Dell inspiron 530s hard drive replacement?

i have a samung spinpoint 500GB hard drive and i want to replace it but can i get any HD from newegg or do i need a spesfic one from dell

1.5K Posts

July 19th, 2012 07:00

You can get any SATA 3.0 GB hard drive from Newegg HERE.  Do you have the disk to reinstall your operating system or are you going to clone your drive?  Both WD and Seagate should have free cloning software that you can use.  With Seagate, I know only one drive has to be Seagate and the other does not.  I'm not sure about WD.  Hard drives are still higher in price than what they should be right now.  

8 Posts

July 19th, 2012 08:00

i have the disk to reinstall my OS. but i am interested in cloning my drive  which one is easier ?

1.5K Posts

July 19th, 2012 08:00

Cloning is much easier since it usually only takes a few minutes and everything is then ready to go like it was.  With a reinstall, you will have to back up everything (programs, documents, music, etc.) and install them again including all your drivers which needs to done in a specific order as described in Dell Support.  

8 Posts

July 19th, 2012 13:00

Can you point me to the way like a link to a step by step guide to clone your drive i would really appreciate  it

1.5K Posts

July 19th, 2012 14:00

HERE is the step-by-step procedure if you get a Seagate drive.  Download Seagate DiskWizard HERE

For a Western Digital drive it would be HERE

8 Posts

July 19th, 2012 14:00

Thank you very much. you really helped me out

No Events found!