Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 15th, 2011 12:00

Dimension 2400 (Multimedia Audio Controller driver missing) (Bios A9 only supports 2400C)

I have a Dimension 2400 and my Multimedia Audio Controller driver seems to be missing.

The support for the 2400 by tag and by model (w/o the tag) sends me to the drivers for the 2400 "C" which I have not been able to install.

Same problem with the BIOS, when I run the download it warns that the system is not supported and says it is for a "4600 C / 2400 C."

Bios file = D460CA09.exe

Audio file = R58182.exe

If I run the setup audio file from its c:\dell\drivers\r5812 the program runs for a second then exits with driver not found.

############

Machine is a clean install of XP pro then Dell updates installed that would install.
Appears the only hardware problem is the audio.
BIOS update appears to be the wrong BIOS on the Dell site?

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

December 15th, 2011 15:00

First, the Multimedia Audio Controller is part of the Sound Card (or integrated on the motherboard sound) drivers.  When the sound drivers are installed it will fix this problem.

As you reinstalled XP, it sounds like you skipped the Intel motherboard chipset drivers, which MUST be installed BEFORE installing Sound Drivers.

The install sequence is (1) Install Windows (2) Install motherboard chipset drivers (3) Install Device Drivers including Video, Dell sound driver, Ethernet, etc.

Usually if the chipset drivers were skipped they can be installed and then the sound drivers and all will be OK.  In a few isolated cases it will take a new correct sequence install to get everything working.

I doubt that the BIOS is the problem.  If it was working OK before the reinstall and you didn't change or reset the BIOS it should be OK.

The Dell downloads have recently underwent many changes and it looks like the 2400 specific drivers were dropped.  I don't know if that was intentional because of the age of the 2400 or an oversight.

HERE is a chipset driver for the Intel 845GV chipset, what the 2400 has.  No guarantee but you can try it.  Then try the ADI (SoundMax) sound drivers and see if they will install.

72 Posts

December 15th, 2011 21:00

smoke test

2 Posts

December 16th, 2011 08:00

THANKS!

Audio problem solved, not going to worry about the BIOS for now.

I went to the above link, installed the files then ran R94481,exe and everything installed like it was suppose to.

>>  THANKS AGAIN  <<  

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

December 16th, 2011 08:00

Yest I wouldn't mess with the BIOS.  That can get you in trouble.

Glad to hear my suggestions got it going.  Thanks for the feedback.

2 Posts

January 19th, 2012 20:00

I am having the same problem with my 2400. My service tag is Please advise.

6.4K Posts

January 19th, 2012 21:00

Please do not post your service tag on the forum.  It is prohibited by Dell's Terms of Use and it will simply be removed when your post is reviewed by the moderators.  You can use the pencil icon at the lower left of your post to edit it and remove the number, highly recommended.

The support page for the Dimension 2400 has errors at this time, and if you have read this thread you know that it presently contains the files for the Dimension 2400C.  The files that you need as a minimum are the following:

R47822.EXE  Chipset

R96001.EXE  Intel Extreme Graphics

R64645.EXE  Network Adapter

R94481.EXE  ADI 198x SoundMax

Use the Search box at the upper right on Dimension 2400 Downloads and Drivers to search for these files as they cannot presently be found using the links on the Downloads and Drivers page.

EDIT:  File descriptions changed to links as should have been done in the first place.  Clicking the description will take you to the download page for the file.

1 Message

January 25th, 2012 16:00

Exactly correct!

When will Dell correct this error?  Is it because the computer is so old that they no longer care about it?:emotion-2:

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

January 26th, 2012 03:00

They have been having problems with the downloads in all systems for a while.  They seem to get it fixed and then problems pop up again.  It may be certain models one time and another time it's different models.  Doesn't matter whether it's an "old" PC system or a recent or new system.

But, at some point Dell will stop supporting the older systems.  Keep in mind Dell is in the business of selling new PC's,   If you no longer have the Dell Drivers and Utilities disc, I would make sure I had all the needed drivers and burn a new disc, in case they are needed later.  

2 Posts

January 26th, 2012 10:00

Thank You for the sound driver. I now have sound.

6.4K Posts

January 26th, 2012 11:00

We're happy to have been of help.  Best of luck to you!

No Events found!