Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 18th, 2006 18:00

Dimension 2400 Video driver

I have a Dimension 2400 and recently upgraded the video adapter driver (I'm running XP professional with service pack 2) - my problem is that I can't change the resolution on the display at all.  It's currently set at the lowest possible resolution at 640x480 and the color quality at 4bit!  When I uninstall and re-install the video driver, I can see the better options but when I try to reset things, it tells me that I might not have administrative rights - I AM logged on as the administrator.  Any thoughts?? 

6.4K Posts

April 18th, 2006 18:00

Which driver are you trying to use?  My D2400's are about 2.5 years old and use the Springdale driver.  As the chipset is an 845GV, you should also be able to use the Intel 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller driver.  The following page contains what drivers are available:

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/devices.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&SystemID=DIM_PNT_P4_CEL_2400&os=WW1&osl=EN#

Good luck!

6.4K Posts

April 18th, 2006 19:00

The downloads page also has parameter files for assorted Dell monitors.  If you have one, you might try finding your model and loading it.  Otherwise you will need to see what sort of monitor settings are available in the advanced section of the display settings menu.  Possibly your video is set to a general purpose setting used to make sure you don't drive a monitor out of spec.

5 Posts

April 18th, 2006 19:00

That's the driver I've been using but I still have the same problems -

5 Posts

April 19th, 2006 13:00

Okay - so I tried everything you suggested and I am still getting this error message . . .

"The display control panel is unable to change the display settings.  You may not have appropriate administrative rights to change these settings."

Then I click "ok" and get this message:

"The display settings being saved are invalid.  Please try a different combination of display settings."

And I AM logged on as the administrator.

This all used to work just fine till I tried to upgrade to a newer driver for the video adapter - I have a Dell Axim that I've been syncing with this desktop and I've always had funky things happening with my display when I'm syncing - so I decided to upgrade the driver to see if it would stop messing with the resolutions (it would default to a low res. whenever I'd sync my Axim) - it was after trying to upgrade that I've now had all these problems - any ideas??

2 Posts

April 19th, 2006 20:00

I have developed the same problem today.  Have you found a soulution?

Ken

2 Posts

April 20th, 2006 13:00

Well,  The one thing I noticed was that the machine was working fine on Wednesday and as I shut down, it was loading updates as windows was closing.  This situation came to light when I turned the machine on yesterday morning and could not change any of the video settings.  After using another exact machine to insure there was not a hardware problem and un-installing/reinstalling  the video driver and card I focused in on these windows updates.  I un-installed all three of them and then was notified that there was now 5 updates that needed to be installed.  In a fit of desperation,  I allowed all of the updates to install (The three I removed plus two more) and the problem was solved.

I hope this solves your problem too.  Good luck

Ken

5 Posts

April 20th, 2006 13:00

No - I have not found the solution - I'm still waiting for a post from a Dell rep to try to solve this very annoying situation - let me know if you get any insights.

12.1K Posts

April 20th, 2006 20:00

Try using System Restore and go back to a date prior to the problem showing up to see if this works

5 Posts

April 20th, 2006 21:00

Well . . . I tried everything and I finally just formatted my hard drive and started over!!  Doing this was faster than trying to figure out what was wrong since I had already tried so many things - I figure some file must have gotten corrupt and I suppose I could have gone into the registry to correct it but frankly, it was easier (and actually faster) just to wipe everything clean and start over.  Thank you all for your willingness to help.  Everything's working just fine now - thanks again.
No Events found!