Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 4th, 2009 15:00

Dimension 2400, no sound!

I recently used the disc that came with my computer to reinstall Windows XP on my Dimension 2400. The initial problem that I had was that when I turned my computer on, only my wallpaper would show, so I completely swiped my computer and reinstalled Windows XP. After I did this, I installed all the things necessary for me to get on the internet, then came to dell.com and put in my service tag and downloaded all the drivers it told me to. After I did this, everything started to work just fine, except my audio is not working, even though I downloaded the driver. I've been looking on these forums for someone with the same exact problem, but didn't really find any, and when I did I didn't understand the solutions haha. So if someone could help me, and explain things in lamens terms, I would greatly appreciate it.

6 Posts

November 4th, 2009 16:00

When I go to Device Manager, these items appear under the category Other Devices with yellow question marks beside them: Dell A920 (Twice?), Ethernet Controller, Multimedia Audio Controller, PCI Modem, SM Bus Controller.

And under sound video and game controllers these show up with the normal speaker icon: Audio Codecs, Legacy Audio Drivers, Legacy Video Capture Devices, Media Control Devices, Video Codecs.

I checked to see if any of them are disabled and they are not.

Also, these are not after market speakers, they're the ones that came with the computer.

2.6K Posts

November 4th, 2009 17:00

Sounds like you're still missing most drivers, even if you did download them - they either didn't get installed, or didn't install correctly.

To try and straighten this out, there's a specific install order for drivers - you don't have everything on that list, but the order is important.   Try installing the chipset driver first - make sure you follow the installation instructions:

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&cs=22&l=en&s=dfh&releaseid=R47822&SystemID=DIM_PNT_P4_CEL_2400&servicetag=&os=WW1&osl=en&deviceid=3268&devlib=0&typecnt=0&vercnt=1&catid=-1&impid=-1&formatcnt=1&libid=27&typeid=-1&dateid=-1&formatid=-1&fileid=56457

Then reboot the computer.  After that try the remaining drivers ONE AT A TIME and see if they work - video, audio, ethernet (network), modem, etc.

The A920 is a printer - that's a whole other animal.

6 Posts

November 4th, 2009 17:00

Thank you very much for such a detailed answer!

So should I delete the drivers I've already installed and then install them in the correct order, or would it not hurt to just install them again in the correct order ?

6 Posts

November 4th, 2009 18:00

When I go to save the driver it doesn't ask me where I want to save it, it only saves.

2.6K Posts

November 4th, 2009 21:00

If you did download them all as per your first post, you should already have them and don't need to download them again.

Just match up the name of the file that shows up when you click "download" with what you've downloaded already:  R47822 for chipset, etc.

Alternatively, find the Drivers and Utilities disk that came with the 2400 and use that instead - it might be easier.

6 Posts

November 5th, 2009 15:00

I just downloaded the chipset driver, then retried downloading the audio driver, and still nothing.. :emotion-6:

Any other suggestions ?

I greatly appreciate your help.

6 Posts

November 5th, 2009 17:00

I have solved the problem!

I went to device manager and then fiddled around and it just started working!

Thank you so much for all the help.

2.6K Posts

November 5th, 2009 20:00

Glad you got it sorted. :emotion-1:

No Events found!