Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 6th, 2009 10:00

Dimension 3000 memory upgrade

Purchased a 2 GB upgrade kit for my Dimension 3000 to upgrade the ram from 512 MB.  Put both 1 GB cards in and the computer and it would not start, message said windows had encountered and error had stopped.  Put one card in and it ran fine. Put the other card in its place and it also ran.  Put one 1 GB card with the original 512 card and it is running. On the setup screen it shows 1.5 gig single channel mode. Tried both cards again and went to set up screen and it showed 2 GB in dual channel mode. Starting from the setup screen it went all the way to displaying the desktop icons before it quit.  The tech support at Wintec said to update BIOS and try again. Does this sound right? I have never flashed a BIOS and  I am not sure I want to attempt it.

9.3K Posts

October 6th, 2009 11:00

In this case a bios update may fix the problem. I do understand your hesitation to update the bios though as on (very) rare occasions it could leave the system unresponsive at which time you're often looking at having to replace the motherboard.

The easy way out is to just run the 512MB with 1 x 1GB and work like that. Upgrading from 512MB is definitely worth it, but I doubt you'll see much difference between 1.5GB and 2GB.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

October 6th, 2009 12:00

Purchased a 2 GB upgrade kit for my Dimension 3000 to upgrade the ram from 512 MB.  Put both 1 GB cards in and the computer and it would not start, message said windows had encountered and error had stopped.  Put one card in and it ran fine. Put the other card in its place and it also ran.  Put one 1 GB card with the original 512 card and it is running. On the setup screen it shows 1.5 gig single channel mode. Tried both cards again and went to set up screen and it showed 2 GB in dual channel mode. Starting from the setup screen it went all the way to displaying the desktop icons before it quit.  The tech support at Wintec said to update BIOS and try again. Does this sound right? I have never flashed a BIOS and  I am not sure I want to attempt it.

Perhaps you have a bad memory module? Have you tried testing the new modules with the onboard diagnostics?

My old Dimension 2350 accepted 2gb RAM (GSKILL PC3200) without any BIOS update.

1 Message

December 1st, 2011 16:00

I am running into same problem with my D3000.  had 256mb to start, upgraded to 512mb years back without any problem.  Now, bought 2 x 1gb memory and it will not boot with both on the board.  It will boot with 1gb memory or mixture of 1gb + 256mb which I don't prefer.

While i format and reinstall my XP, noticed that Dell website has updated BIOS last night.  I didn't get a chance to try yesterday but will try it tonight and let you know the outcome.

No Events found!