Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 8th, 2013 12:00

Dimension 4550 unable to install Ethernet

Dear Everyone,

I had this Dell 4550 for quite sometime. Still works well for my needs.

I recently changed my video card to VisionTek Radeon HD3450 512MB AGP 8x Graphics Card (per recommendation of Dell Tech Support) because the original made the computer stopped working.

After installation of the new card, the computer was working again & was able to connect to the internet.

I noticed the slowness while using my PC, so I thought maybe formatting the hard drive might solve the issues.

I am familiar on formatting them since I've done them multiple times with a tech when my PC was brand new.

The formatting was successful. Then the drivers was installed in their proper order.

But now, I have that yellow ? on my Ethernet. No matter what I do, I just can't solve this particular issue.

I had searched on the forum, followed some of them, & still failed.

I have been reformatting them as per suggestions from what I've read in some of the forums, done it probably 8 times already.

I am lost & not sure what to do next.

I am no expert on this & probably needing guidance on some of you expert out there.

Some of the messages I get:

1) "Hardware not installed because the wizard cannot find the necessary software." - I had downloaded all the necessary Ethernet software on line, put them on disc, run them still with no good outcome. 

2) Ethernet Controller - the device was not installed (Code 28)

To reinstall the drivers, click reinstall. - Done this, no success either.

I've been working on this for the past 3 weeks. Any suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Loreta:emotion-10:

Dimension 4550

Microsoft XP

Home Edition Version 2002

Service Pack 2

Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.00GHz

1.99GHz, 1.00GB of RAM

with new video card = VisionTek Radeon HD3450 512MB AGP 8x

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

November 8th, 2013 18:00

Well done! That is indeed what I am referring to and it means you have an Intel® PRO/100 M Desktop Adapter.

The XP driver is in this package; download it, install it and your Dell's network connectivity should be restored.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

November 8th, 2013 13:00

It seems that the driver you're trying to install is incorrect. The 4550 was furnished with two types of Ethernet NIC, one Intel and one Broadcom. You can download the Intel driver here and the Broadcom driver here.

The Intel hardware is likely what your 4550 is equipped with.

19 Posts

November 8th, 2013 16:00

I tried this route multiple times.

I did however, tried your suggestion.

I downloaded the Intel Driver & Broadcom Driver to a CD.

After unzipping the files, I let the wizard do it's thing with no positive results.

It just kept saying the "wizard cannot find the necessary software".

So, I tried going back again to my device manager, uninstall the ethernet, then restart the PC,

the computer recognized that I have a new hardware, I let the wizard work on it, then it's the same...Cannot Install this hardware..

:emotion-18: Loreta

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

November 8th, 2013 16:00

Do you by chance have a third-party network card installed in this machine?

To determine what the hardware is, right-click the device in Device Manager, select Details and then Hardware Ids. That should list the vendor (VEN_...) and device (DEV_...) codes, after which the proper driver can be sought out.

19 Posts

November 8th, 2013 17:00

I don't see the device.

I see the word other devices with a yellow ?

underneath that is the ethernet controller.

I right click that, went to details, then it says:

Device Instance ID

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1039&SUBSYS_01421028&REV_81\4&3B1CAF2B&0&40F0

Not sure if this is what you are referring too.

Loreta:emotion-18: 

19 Posts

November 8th, 2013 19:00

OMG:emotion-2:

That actually works.

Sharing your time & knowledge is GREATLY APPRECIATED.

If I can only hug you, I would :emotion-10:.

Now that I am on line, just found out that SP3 is going to be obsolete.

Having problems downloading the security system. I must download SP3 prior to that, but it would not let me.

Any suggestion on a good anti-virus that is free?

If not, no big deal.

Again, Thanks a lot for your help.

Have a great weekend!

Loreta:emotion-5:

19 Posts

November 8th, 2013 20:00

I was able to search on how to install SP3 etc..

So, I was able to install the Microsoft Security system as well.

I am now all set.

Thanks again for all your help.

Sincerely,

Loreta:emotion-5:

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

November 8th, 2013 21:00

Good to hear you're up and running!

FYI be sure to download all the Windows Updates and patches, as XP is more vulnerable to malware than the newer Windows versions. At some point in the next six months, you might also consider updating to Windows 7, as XP support will end in April 2014. Newegg frequently offers Windows 7 for $80 with free shipping.

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

November 9th, 2013 00:00

Although in my opinion its the best antivirus to use; be careful using Microsoft Security Essentials after April also as theres a good chance Microsoft will stop updating it for XP also.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

November 9th, 2013 10:00

If this 4550 has 1gb of RAM, it will support Windows 7 32-bit.

It already has a compatible video card.

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

November 9th, 2013 12:00

If this 4550 has 1gb of RAM, it will support Windows 7 32-bit.

It already has a compatible video card.

However it is quite weak hardware (DDR RAM) and may not be worth the price of a Windows 7 license. I would advise looking into a second hand OptiPlex 760 which has a Windows 7 license already. It would be a more worthwhile purchase. Or a new Inspiron 660.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

November 9th, 2013 13:00

I've tested Windows 7 on these old machines and performance is adequate for light-duty tasks like Web surfing and word processing.

I see the occasional OptiPlex 760 with Vista on eBay offered for about the same as a Windows 7 license and that's something to be considered.

No Events found!