Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

March 19th, 2006 01:00

Dimension 4600 Video card

I recently used wipedrive to wipe my computer's hardrive clean. I used all the installation CD's that I did have to install any missing drivers. But now it says that my Video Controller VGA is not recognized. It worked just fine before i wiped the drive...so..I do have a video card. How would I update this?

I found out that I had this problem when installing a nancy drew game for my daughter.

6.4K Posts

March 19th, 2006 05:00

If the computer is a Dimension 4600, you should find drivers here:

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/devices.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&SystemID=DIM_P4_4600&os=WW1&osl=EN

If the computer is a D4600C, the drivers should be found here:

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/devices.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&SystemID=DIM_P4_4600C&os=WW1&osl=EN

The most obvious difference is that the D4600C has a slimmer profile and must use low profile video cards.  To complicate matters further, Dell sold the D4600 in two varieties; one with integrated video and one without.  Both can use video cards, however, as you only need disable the onboard video on the one sold with integrated video.

The drivers beginning with the name "Intel" are for integrated video.  The separate video cards sold with the D4600 were made either by ATI or nVidia.  You will need to identify which you have before deciding on a driver.  Also, since you didn't mention purchasing a video card I have assumed that this card was purchased with the computer.  If someone added a video card after the computer was delivered you will need to find a driver from the vendor of the card.

Good luck!

Message Edited by JackShack on 03-19-2006 01:24 AM

March 19th, 2006 13:00

And then install drivers for card.

If it's an Nvidia based card:

ForceWare Release 80
Version: 84.21
Release Date: March 17, 2006
WHQL Certified*

For Windows XP/2000

Brand new release for GeForce cards.

Pick your card from the list

2 Posts

March 19th, 2006 16:00

Thanks guys. I figured it out before you posted it, but i really appreciate the help. I would definitely have needed it if i hadn't found the drivers homepage. Just as info for ya'll: It was just a 4600 and it used an nvidia video card. The card came with the computer.

86 Posts

March 21st, 2006 19:00

Guys, I hope you don't mind me crashing this link as I have a similar question/problem.  I have the Dell Dimension 4600i with 128MB DDR NVidia GeForceFX 5200 Graphics card.  Can I assume that the "i" in the 4600i means "integrated?  Since I have the NVidia card also, can I also assume that the factory installed video card is disabled to allow the NVidia to work?
  My video screen flickers on and off, then ultimately goes black.  I have this problem also posted on this board separately.  Any help is greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

6.4K Posts

March 21st, 2006 20:00

Yes, the D4600i has an integrated video capability, and yes, it is normally disabled in order to use an add-on card.

Stating that your screen goes black is ambiguous; a monitor can go black because the power has been removed, because the video from the computer has been interrupted or turned off, or the monitor itself has a defect that does not allow it to properly display the video information.  Assuming that you have power on the monitor, is the light on the monitor green or yellow when the screen goes black.  Yellow says that there is no video from the computer.  Next I would turn everything off and make certain that the video cable is firmly attached to the computer video port.  Disconnect it, and reconnect it again.  If your monitor is the type that has a detachable video cable at the monitor itself, do the same to that end.  If you still have the problem, I would say there is a good chance that your video card is failing.  Any additional troubleshooting requires that you have a spare monitor to attach to the computer, or another computer to attach to the monitor.  If you use another monitor with the computer and still have the problem, the video card has been confirmed as the cause.  If you can use the monitor with another computer and have the problem, the monitor is the cause.

Good luck to you!

86 Posts

March 22nd, 2006 13:00

JackShack, Thanks, all good info.  I have swapped monitors and I get the same response with both monitors. The screen starts to blink on and off, getting more frequent at time progresses until it ultimately goes completely black. The power light on the monitor does cycle from green to yellow each time the screen goes black.  I have checked the cable connections, all are tight. I have opened the case, removed and replaced the card, still no luck. I doulbled checked all the drivers in Device Manager and all looks good.  All in all, I think everything is pointing hard at the graphics card as the problem.
    What about this? To confirm it is the graphics card, could I remove the NVidia card completely, re-enable the integrated video card somehow, and then reconnect the monitor to the integrated video port?  If so, how do I re-enable the integrated video?
    Another possibility is to remove the graphics card from my other Dell that is working properly and see if that works.  I am reluctant to mess around with the only other computer we have that is working.
    Third possible solution. Break down and buy a new graphics card.  Sure hate to buy a new card if I can't really determine if that truly is the problem or not.  Thoughts??  Anyone??

6.4K Posts

March 22nd, 2006 14:00

In order to use the integrated video, go into bios setup, find the integrated video on the menu and set it to enabled.  You might need to do this before you remove the video card as otherwise you won't have a display to let you see what you're doing.  Once you have enabled the onboard chip Windows will recognize it and try to find a driver for it.  If it doesn't succeed you will have a Yellow caution symbol in your device manager under Other Devices-VGA compatible.  You can find the driver for it in the links listed earlier in this thread.

I would be careful swapping the card from your other computer into the troubled one unless they are identical cards.  The drivers won't be the same for both if the cards are different and you may still not know anything.  Once you determine that the video card is indeed the problem, make sure you clean out the drivers for the card, unless, of course, you are replacing the card with another identical card.
No Events found!