Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 22nd, 2007 15:00

Dimension 5150 Bios and VT enabled processor support

Has anyone been successful or heard any information about getting a bios for a Dimension 5150 that will allow us to enable VT support for Intel EM64T cpu's? I've seen enough people complain on the XPS forums to get a bios update for this but no other Intel based systems so far. The goal is to get VMware to allow 64-bit guest os's installed, and VMware recognizes the cpu as VT enabled, but complains it's not enabled in the bios. Currently with revision A07 of the bios there is no option for this, which is a little strange. I spoke to support and was basically told they have no idea what bios update features will be released in the future. I also thought by posting here maybe there were some other people who were interested in having this as well, or found another way to allow this to work.

Thanks,
Ed

12.7K Posts

January 22nd, 2007 16:00

http://www.grc.com/securable.htm   here is a nice tool to tell you what is available on any PC, I know this does not help your situation, Some bios's have a lock bit on this feature, so it cannot be enabled. Go Figure.

Message Edited by mombodog on 01-22-200712:11 PM

8 Posts

January 29th, 2007 17:00

Steve from www.grc.com is supposed to be working on a little util that will let you enable both DEP and VT if your CPU supports them.
Hopefully that will solve this issue.  :smileyhappy:

12.7K Posts

January 29th, 2007 18:00

I knew about the DEP in the new tool, did not read anything about VT, that would be cool.

2 Posts

January 29th, 2007 20:00

Sounds good, thanks for the info everyone.

Ed

8 Posts

January 31st, 2007 13:00

Hi Guys,

I read an interview with Steve, sometime last summer. ( I've had a look around but i can't find the interview now.)  In one section, he was talking about using DEP and virtual machines to work and browse in safety. He pointed out that most modern CPU's had special features that support these built into them, but they were turned off in the BIOS.

Later he then mentioned he was looking into a way to allow users to check if their CPU's had these features and whether they could be switched back on.  I assume he is still working on getting both to work, as SecurAble checks to see if both features are built into your CPU. 

M  M

1 Message

March 31st, 2007 21:00

Has anyone figured out how to enable VT on the e510 or 5150?  It still seems ridiculous to me that both the motherboard and processor support it but Dell will not allow us to enable it.  I also saw that they did go back and correct this oversight for the XPS 700 but I have not seen an update for other models yet.
No Events found!