Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 6th, 2005 23:00

Dimension 8400 CPU Fan

Just found this forum and thought I would try with a question

I have a new, 32 days old, Dimension 8400 with P4 and 3.2 processor, 2 weeks ago the cpu cooling fan started running at full speed all the time, this past Tuesday a service tech came and replaced the fan and the heat sink I guess it is called, they also gave him a motherboard to change, but he told me that the mb was rebuilt and Dell has been having issues with the rebuilts and he did not want to change the mb unnecessarily, after the fan change all was quite until yesterday, Saturday, the fan started running at full speed all the time again, the tech is supposedely going to call me tomorrow to discuss. I placed a telephone call to Dell customer service and asked about getting a replacement computer and was told that type of decision has to be made by tech service.

Any thoughts.

Thanks
Bob

3 Posts

March 7th, 2005 00:00

Have you scanned for Viruses and Spyware, They will make your computer run full throttle and your fan will work harder.  Id definitely recommend scanning for viruses.

Evan.

58 Posts

March 7th, 2005 04:00

I had the CPU replaced too and I saw some one that had bad memory caused the fan to go nuts.

4 Posts

March 7th, 2005 10:00

Yes I have scanned for both spyware and viruses, and now that memory was mentioned the problem seemed to start after I added additional memory, purchased from dell, but removing the additional memory has not resolved the problem

Bob

4 Posts

March 7th, 2005 21:00

As a follow up I received a telephone call from Dell Tech Support, they are going to replace the computer, that's good news to me

Bob

19 Posts

March 12th, 2005 08:00

I can tell you Dell definitely has CPU FAN problems with the 8400 design though they wont give any details. What I do know is I had same problem and contacted support almost 2 months ago. First they replaced the FAN, then heatsink and then mobo but it all did not work. After lots of complaining via phone/email I finally got a replacement that is much more quit. One thing that surprises me is that the 8400 always makes the CPU fan run at same speed, while it should only run faster when CPU is heavily used. My old model run almost at max speed, and the only way to lower it was running the fan diagnostics which does a sweep from 1000 to 2000 RPM.

thermal diode of processor should normally trigger fan speed like explained on
http://cache-www.intel.com/cd/00/00/17/98/179821_179821.pdf
However it almost looks like this design neglects the cpu signal and dell just choose one speed. The second line person more or less admitted Dell had lots of these problems, and since few week they added an additional "cpufan check" when PC leaves factory. I still think its strange because we use Optiplexes at work which are very quite, only when doing CPU intensive stuff the fan will speed up for a while.
On this forum you will find lots of people complaining about the issue so there is definitely something wrong. The thermal design and component choice (heatsink/delta electronics fan) is also very weak especially compared with "real" cooler such as Zallman but hey, you get what you pay for ;-)

8 Posts

March 15th, 2005 16:00

so what's the solution? Mine is driving me mad. I have a new fan but it's just as loud as before - a high frequency whine that goes up and down when there is even a 1% load on the CPU. I have been engaged in email with tech support and they did send me a new fan but are basically arguing with me that there is nothing wrong with anything - I know I have had over a dozen dells at my desk in the last 5 years and this one is by far the loudest and most annoying.

58 Posts

March 15th, 2005 17:00

I took me a lot of phone calls and two tech support visits to fix my noisy 8400 (CPU, fan and heat sink replaced) and now I love it!

2 Posts

March 22nd, 2005 13:00

Same problem, but only in the games... Fan gets louder and louder until it gets to top speed. It doesn't decrease speed afterwards if I exit the game. Can't stand it.

I just had the mobo, fan and CPU replaced and it did not fix it.

They will replace the heat sink next.

I wish the support would have a better knowledge database in France to get to the point.

8 Posts

June 6th, 2005 21:00

I posted this on a similar page but it's worth posting again to save everyone the hassel I had.

Thought I'd give my 2 cents.  I have a dell 8400 manufactured in nov 04.  In my case it was a refurb.  My fan was soo loud my wife asked if I was vacuuming when it was first on.  Anyway, they tried to tell me it was the cpu so they sent me out a new one.  I tried to tell them it was the heatsink.  Turns out I was right.  I rule, they stink.  So after 2 tech visits and countless phone calls it is now fixed.  If you are having this problem make sure they replace the heat sink and cpu fan for good measure.  I can't believe something as stupid as that was causing all my problems.  Now it's just a low whispter.  Sweet. 

Cheers!

2 Posts

June 7th, 2005 07:00

I just got a good solution after 4 months...
It was indeed the heat sink, but before they found out they had changed the motherboard and the CPU.
After that they have been quite unable to set the CPU speed back to 3.4 Ghz, even thought they changed the CPU again. It remained at 3 Ghz.
Then they gave up trying to fix the CPU speed, and decided to replace the machine. First they sent it to the wrong address, then they decided to send another one to the correct address.
OF course the machine I received wasn't with the exact same configuration, I had to exchange things like memory and video card...
In the end I have now a machine that runs well. I just hope it will last as I don't want to go throught the whole support cycle for 4 months again !

Had they figured out that they just needed to send another heat sink, they would have saved a lot of money.

4 Posts

June 7th, 2005 11:00

The heat sink and fan did not solve my problem, they finally replaced the computer and the replacement was an upgrade from what I originally purchased, faster cpu, better video card, etc.

Bob
No Events found!