Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 15th, 2011 20:00

Dimension 8400 boot fails at checkpoint ITHR

Dimension 8400 Pentium 4 (3.2GHz) / 160GB Serial ATA HD / 2GB DDR2 SDRAM 

My 6-yr old Dimension 8400 has been running perfectly since the day I bought it, but 2 days ago it just died and won't boot; I can't get past the Dell screen. I get the message:
Alert! Prevoius attempts at booting this system have failed at checkpoint ITHR.
The diagnostics lights are all Green. I found several threads in the forum on this same topic and have tried all the suggestions like removing /re-inserting system board battery, vacuuming entire inside, checking motherboard capacitators for leaking or bulging, re-seating all cards and checking all cable connections.
Still can't get past the Dell screen. Is there a particular "F" key I should hit when the Dell screen appears...I've tried F12, F2 and F8 but nothing happens. Is there any chance of retrieving data from the hard drive if the system won't boot? 

I am looking for help on getting the system to boot into Windows just long enough for me to transfer the contents of the hard drive to another computer. Thanks for any and all suggestions. Joan 

6.4K Posts

May 15th, 2011 22:00

Judging from the info available in the forum and on the net there is no for sure solution to this problem other than replacing the computer.  For some folks, disconnecting the power, removing the CMOS battery for a few minutes, coupled with pushing the power button and holding that in for about fifteen seconds, seems to clear the problem at least temporarily.  For others, unplugging all USB connections while the computer boots and then plugging the keyboard, mouse, and whatever else you have, back into the tower works.  One post even claimed that plugging a different monitor into the tower cleared up the problem.  Then there is the post that claims the problem is related to temperature, but if that was your problem I would think the cleaning you gave it should help.

I was once convinced that this was a USB problem based on a note from Dell with regard to one of the Optiplex systems.  The work around for that case was to stop using the rear USB ports during the period that the machine was in the boot process and plugging things back in when the boot was complete.  Needless to say I no longer have that particular conviction.

You can try removing any expansion cards you have installed in the computer to see if it will boot with nothing but the monitor, keyboard, and mouse, but this is simply one more straw to grasp.  I think the key to the "solutions" you see on a search is that you have changed the physical configuration of the computer and some failure indication gets cleared so that the computer boots.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

May 16th, 2011 06:00

A drive wire will allow transfer of the data

Disconnect the power from the wall
Press/hold power button for ~15 sec
Open case and remove battery
Press/hold power button again
Reinstall battery (right side up!)
Close case
Restart.

APRICORN DriveWire IDE/PATA/SATA to USB Hard Drive Adapter ...

Highlights
  • Compatible with almost any 2.5" or 3.5" IDE/PATA or SATA Hard Drive
  • Offers Plug-n-Play connectivity
  • Bundled with USB 2.0 Cable, AC Adapter and Apricorn's Upgrade Suite CD
Overview

The DriveWire IDE/PATA/SATA to USB Hard Drive Adapter from Apricorn is an ideal solution for transferring the data from a desktop or laptop PC to a new hard drive in a few easy steps. With this DriveWire Adapter you can easily transfer your OS, data, applications, documents, address books, e-mail, settings and preferences - from the old drive to a new drive, in few easy steps. DriveWire Adapter is bundled with Apricorn's ‘Upgrade Suite’ which features EZ Gig II cloning software for Windows and Shirt Pocket's SuperDuper for Mac. Just attach your 2.5" or 3.5" hard drive to the appropriate connector on DriveWire's cable head. Then connect the AC power adapter and the USB cable. Now, boot up your computer using the "Upgrade Suite" bootable CD and make and exact clone of the old drive onto a new drive. After the transfer is completed, install the new hard drive into the desktop or laptop, and the computer will boot up just like normal.

This DriveWire adapter provides a SATA connector for the new style drives as well as 44-pin connector for a 2.5" laptop IDE/PATA Hard Drive and 40-pin connector for a standard 3.5" IDE/PATA Hard Drive, allowing you to connect a hard drive to any desktop or laptop computer with a USB 2.0 port. This adapter eliminates the need for a separate enclosure for every Hard Drive and is compatible with almost any 2.5" or 3.5" IDE/PATA or SATA Hard Drives. With all these features, this DriveWire adapter is an ideal solution for anyone needing immediate or temporary access to a Hard Drive.

Manufacturer Part# : ADW-USB-KIT
Dell Part# : A1164717
No Events found!